Canon scanner drivers

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Canon scanner drivers

Postby iamthewalrus on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am

I have a Canon Lide 80 scanner. According to Canon it is "he world's most advanced film-capable flatbed scanner". Yet not so advanced that when I bought my new 64 bit laptop last year they had drivers available. One of the reasons I shifted to Linux was the hope that there might be some way to get this working again outside the Windows environment. I have done a bit of searching and found a thread in German which leads to a page with a lot of downloads I don't understand:
http://www.linux-community.de/Community ... on-Lide-80

Has anyone here solved this problem?
iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Canon scanner drivers

Postby digitalhermit86 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am

Shifting to Linux in hope that some piece of hardware will work that windows won't handle is a setup for disappointment. The quick Google search I did seems to suggest that it only works with Windows and OS X. My suggestion is to dual boot with XP or 7 and to use your scanner there. As for not being able to read the German site, just copy and past sections of text to Google's translate.
Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon on an Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus, Intel E6800 3.33Ghz Dual Core, 4gb DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard drive.
digitalhermit86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby olderunner on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Unfortunately Windows is sometimes necessary and this is probably one of those cases. I have a CanoScan scanner that works in a virtualbox running windows 7. Doesn't work in linux however. By running in VB I can use the scanned image in linux. I have several programs that I need that I run under Windows in VB, wish I could completely do away with Windows but in today's world that's almost impossible. I'll give up Windows before I give up my Mint LMDE! :D
olderunner
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iamthewalrus on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:51 am

That's annoying. Is Canon the only ones who can make these drivers?

I am wondering whether they are trying to control this or if people just haven't bothered generally?
iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RodMyers on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:59 am

iamthewalrus wrote:I have a Canon Lide 80 scanner. According to Canon it is "he world's most advanced film-capable flatbed scanner". Yet not so advanced that when I bought my new 64 bit laptop last year they had drivers available. One of the reasons I shifted to Linux was the hope that there might be some way to get this working again outside the Windows environment. I have done a bit of searching and found a thread in German which leads to a page with a lot of downloads I don't understand:
http://www.linux-community.de/Community ... on-Lide-80

Has anyone here solved this problem?

Not free software, but it says it works

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon_lide_80.html
RodMyers
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support