TV connection which method is best HDMI or VGA?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

TV connection which method is best HDMI or VGA?

Postby LarryTheLamb on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:15 am

I am a total noob to Linux so any explanation you offer should please reflect that fact.

I have an Acoustic Solutions 42" full HD TV and at present have it connected via a DVI>HDMI adaptor.

Problem is my new Linux Mint 15 install only sees a 7" generic monitor on that DVI output!

My question to you guys is: Would it be better to use the TV's VGA input via a DVI>VGA adaptor instead or is there an easier way to get full compatibility with my TV and PC's secondary DVI output?

Thanks.

Larry
LarryTheLamb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: TV connection which method is best HDMI or VGA?

Postby nomko on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 am

Best is to use HDMI. With HDIMI you have video output and sound output through 1 cable. However, there are a numerous threads here on this forum from users who has problems getting the sound to work over HDMI and in some cases even video output over HDMI.

I would say, try HDMI and if you have video output and audio output with no problems, stick to HDMI.
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

Visit my website:
My personal website
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Re: TV connection which method is best HDMI or VGA?

Postby LarryTheLamb on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks for replying, I guessed there would be lots of threads concerning this type of issue. However, the search engine on this forum said terms like HDMI and VGA were not usable in search as they are not 5 chars or longer!

I understand the reason for this, if some idiot choose to search for the letter a or e the search engine could be blocked for days.

Please don't think I didn't try.

I have it in HDMI mode now but I would like Linux to recognise or be told that it is in fact a 42" TV and not a 7" generic monitor!

At present if I full screen anything I get no bottom or top to the screen because the kernel thinks it is a 7" screen!

Also, what do I do to get HDMI output in sound settings to be accessed for general sound output?

The only place I can find HDMI audio output is in VLC's preferences menu! And I don't know which one of the 5 I should use?

Thanks again

Larry
LarryTheLamb
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support