Printing doesn't work correctly

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Printing doesn't work correctly

Postby hoppel on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi,

when I'm trying to print, it sometimes works, but very often it only prints half a page, or cuts it on top. Mostly it only prints one page (of two, for instance). For a moment I suspected a broken cable to be the reason, but it looks strange that apart from printing only half pages (sometimes) the printing looks pretty fine.
It so happened after a new installation of Mint, so I'm curious whether there might be a software reason...

I use a HP Laserjet 1100 on the parallel port. Is there a way to check the connection by software?

Meanwhile I've checked printing using the livecd - that way it worked.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Printing doesn't work correctly

Postby hoppel on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Nobody knows anything?
As I'm not very experienced with Linux I'm really stuck. The problem didn't occur with Darynna, and as it works with the livecd, I wonder whether the problem lies in one of the updates I installed via Synaptic. Can anyone tell me the specific version number of CUPS, which belongs to the original release? Maybe I can get it back to work by downgrading some parts of my software...
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Printing doesn't work correctly

Postby CavalierBob on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:45 pm

In checking CUPS in Synaptic, there does not appear to have been any updates. When you look under Package > Force version... in the drop down menu, there is not another version available. So it appears we are using what originally shipped with Elyssa.

Got me stumped on why your are having the feed/print problem only on the Elyssa hard drive install. The only idea I have might be to install 'hplip' and 'hplip-gui' from the repos (I have this installed on Elyssa for my HP Photosmart 2710). I think this will install the HP open source driver and a nice GUI front end. The GUI will be found in mintMenu under Applications > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.

I am not sure if this will be of any help at all....sorry.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support