restoring sound to same as LiveCD configuration [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrwilloby

restoring sound to same as LiveCD configuration [SOLVED]

Post by mrwilloby »

Maybe someone can walk me through the steps that I need. I'm using Linux Mint 5

I was trying to get my headphones to work when plugged into the front panel on my Creative Sound Blaster Live! Drive IR 5.1 sound card. I did something wrong and then when I rebooted, no sound cards were installed. (I have the onboard sound disabled in the BIOS.)

I then booted up with a LiveCD just to see if the headphones even worked with that configuration. They did. The device was listed as using the Alsa mixer.

What I'd like to do now is install or configure or copy something so that I can have the sound setup like it was on the LiveCD.

Can anyone start me off?

Thanks so much.

UPDATE:
see this post for help on sound: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: restoring sound to same as LiveCD configuration

Post by Husse »

Check all audio settings
Sound in the Control center
The "large" mixer - double click the volume control in the panel
Check that sources are set right and that nothing has been muted
It is unclear to me though why plugging in or out the headphones should cause this
mrwilloby

Re: restoring sound to same as LiveCD configuration

Post by mrwilloby »

Husse wrote:It is unclear to me though why plugging in or out the headphones should cause this
I had been messing with a lot of settings and the alsamixer and other things without knowing exactly what I was doing, and something went wrong.

Luckily, I stumbled across this post on the Ubuntu Forums. I recommend it to anyone with sound problems.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

It solved all my issues. My headphone jack works now, and everything else seems to as well.
Husse

Re: restoring sound to same as LiveCD configuration [SOLVED]

Post by Husse »

Yes - that's the sound topic

Return to “Hardware Support”