Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
websmoken

Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Post by websmoken »

When I'm booting up, right after the set-up screen it stops with the cursor blinking in upper left corner with thumbdrive inserted. If I wait & plug it in after "Grub Loading" It boots great & drive is recognized.

If I boot into windows everything is OK. Well the windows part isn't. :mrgreen: If I try to boot from windows into Linux it won't boot either.

It never has booted with drive inserted in any of the installs I've had to make :( .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Post by miket »

Hi !
websmoken wrote:When I'm booting up, right after the set-up screen it stops with the cursor blinking in upper left corner with thumbdrive inserted. If I wait & plug it in after "Grub Loading" It boots great & drive is recognized.

If I boot into windows everything is OK. Well the windows part isn't. :mrgreen: If I try to boot from windows into Linux it won't boot either.

It never has booted with drive inserted in any of the installs I've had to make :( .
Check your BIOS settings, it may be set to boot from USB devices in which case it will be looking for an O/S on that thumbdrive ...
If you change the boot order and put USB devices after the internal hard drive it may fix the problem.

Mike.
websmoken

Post by websmoken »

Heres The Set-up:

1st boot device [ Hard drive group ]
2nd boot device [ Floppy group ]
3rd boot device [ CD Rom group ]
4th boot device [ Network boot group ]

Floppy group boot priority [ Not installed ]
CD Rom group boot priority [ 3M-HP DVD Writer ]
HDD group boot priority [ PM-ST3200B22AS ]
Network Group boot priority [ Not installed ]

I have a 500G USB backup drive that is always plugged in, so I swapped it with the thumbdrive and still didn't boot. I've tried the drive in all the USB ports. :(
websmoken

Post by websmoken »

The reason it won't boot with thumbdrive inserted is in the BIOS setting (advanced) theirs something called "USB Legacy Mode Support" 3 selections "auto", "enabled", & "disabled" it was set to "auto". I changed it to "Disabled" & it boots. Set to "enabled" it doesn't boot either.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Return to “Hardware Support”