Microsoft Ergonomic Natural Keyboard 4000 Not Working

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Microsoft Ergonomic Natural Keyboard 4000 Not Working

Postby nicknc on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:47 pm

The title says it all. Ironically, I can log in fine, type in GRUB, and it worked well on the live CD. However, once I installed Linux Mint, and then updated the OS, it simply quit working.

I dual boot XP x64, and it still works there. It simply does not work in Linux Mint all of a sudden.

I'm using LM 5.0, fully updated, no additional software installed (since I can't type), and the keyboard lights are on. I've tried changing the keyboard type to Microsoft Natural Keyboard, with no results.

I'm absolutely stumped. Any ideas?
nicknc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Microsoft Ergonomic Natural Keyboard 4000 Not Working

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:43 am

This is a case where xorg.conf still has it's use
What does the keyboard section look like?
I presume you can use another keyboard temporarily
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nicknc on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Well, I'm hesitant to claim it's fixed this easily, but it must've been the USB hub I had the keyboard plugged into. I plugged straight into the computer on a hunch, and now it's working fine.

Also, once I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard, my MS keyboard would work, but would drop keys, which gave me the idea of bypassing the hub.

I'll post back if the problems reappears, but it appears to be fixed now. Strange, because I had no issues with the previous setup in Windows XP x64...
nicknc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 am

Strange, because I had no issues with the previous setup in Windows XP x64...

Maybe, but it's always a "team work" between hard- and software
Could be that the keyboard buffer in win is different
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nicknc on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Never mind. As soon as I unplug the PS/2 keyboard and reboot, my USB MS keyboard quits working again, regardless as to whether it's plugged in through a hub or directly to the motherboard itself.

As mentioned before, this behavior seems to be unique to Linux Mint (and possibly ubuntu, I haven't tried that since the keyboard behaves fine off the live cd of LM). Mandriva (although it had numerous other issues) detected and used this keyboard perfectly well, as did Windows XP x64.

Seeing as how the keyboard worked fine with the drivers included on the Live CD, but quit functioning properly after updating Linux Mint, I'm going to make the assumption that it's a problem with a driver being updated.

I'm very good with troubleshooting weird issues in Windows using debugging tools, etc, but haven't quite reached that point on Linux yet.

Where should I begin to look to figure this out? My xorg.conf doesn't look too unusual, however, if needed, I can post that here.

Thanks!
nicknc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:22 pm

I have seen several different varieties of keyboard issues crop up over the years. It could be something minor or (rarely) something major. Just tossing ideas out... Have you tried using a USB-PS/2 adapter plug to change the USB keyboard back into a PS/2 keyboard? Have you plugged the USB keyboard in a different USB port on the back or front to verify? Those are the first two things I would try.

It is possible that HAL or the USB driver may not be loading properly/in time for the keyboard to function. I think I remember reading about that in another forum a while back. Not sure if that applies in your case, but I thought I would mention it for your further research.

I have a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A with a PS/2 plug. I know that model works in normal use, as well as with a KVM switch. Hopefully, you keyboard issue is a quick fix. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nicknc on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:05 am

It could very well be that the HAL or USB driver isn't loading in time. The keyboard didn't work with a USB to PS/2 adapter, but come to think of it, I've never gotten a USB keyboard to work with one of those.

I did notice that at the log on prompt, if I unplug, and then plug the keyboard back in, it seems to work fine.

I'll keep screwing around with this, feel free to post if anything rings a bell.

I'm telling you though, out of the 8+ distros I've tried, Linux Mint by FAR kicks ass. It's nice to see Linux developers like yall and Texstar making some of these bigger distros actually usable :)
nicknc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support