External HDD

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

External HDD

Postby obe1can on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 pm

I just installed a new HD and put the old one in an external enclosure. Right now, I'm trying to access the Ext. HD via a USB connection, but it's not wanting to access or mount. I'm running Elyssa 5.0 r1, with all new updates.

I've tried sudo nautilus, and it shows as a USB Drive; but I can't access it. I'm no expert, and I tried to use 'sudo parted', but it gives a read/write error when I try to make a new label with 'mklabel'. It will mount here in parted, as /dev/sdb but I get nothing but errors when I try to access further.

The enclosure is a Thermaltake River DUO with a SATA HD, 80GB. And, as I stated it is hooked up right now via USB. I read somewhere in my searches to disable Legacy USB storage support in BIOS, which I have done.

Any leads to guides would be appreciated, as the searches I've performed aren't yielding much for my situation that is applicable. Darn Inet is re-directed so sometimes.

Thanks.
obe1can
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: External HDD

Postby newW2 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Errors? I just plug-in my external usb drive and it mounts and opens like a pen drive. Take a look at this link.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: External HDD

Postby obe1can on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Thanks for the info. It wasn't documented you have to remove one of the connectors, either the SATA or IDE. When I did this, I could access.

Where you say yours is automatically connected, mine still has to be mounted via: mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1.

Any advice on how to get it to see it automatically?

Thanks again for the response.
obe1can
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support