HAL and running a app upon connection.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

HAL and running a app upon connection.

Post by Arron »

Im trying to get my Nostromo N52 running and port a small howto I did for Ubuntu to here. This is the details of the howto, look for my posts:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87390&page=4

Anyhow, my question is more Hal and Elyssa specific i think. I have the controller app compiled and installed and running but im having problems with Hal running a script when the usb controller is plugged in.

I have this in /etc/udev/rules.d/85-nostromon52_rule.rules

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="050d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0815", RUN="/home/arron/bin/nost.scr"

This worked fine for Mint 4, but for some reason with 5 it does not run the script. The script is there, and does run properly when called, but it appears Hal does not run it upon the usb connection. This same setup worked fine with Ubuntu 7.10 and Mint 4 Gnome/XFCE.

Any ideas? I wish Hal was more documented and supported, it could be a very useful tool for many things if it was simpler. If I could just get Hal to play nice, I would be all set.

---insert Space Odyssey jokes here---
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: HAL and running a app upon connection.

Post by Husse »

This could be a kernel issue
/etc/udev/rules.d/85-nostromon52_rule.rules looks almost OK
I'm no expert in this field but all other files I study have RUN+= not RUN=
There may of course be a difference in what they do between += and =
Arron

Post by Arron »

Ok did some more testing on this.....

Something is running the script from removable drives and storage before the Hal/udev rule. This would normally run the app that i need (I really wish this was more configurable, you could specify more details when what items are plugged in), I need to configure the device with sudo privileges, so the script from here wont do it.

I see this is the gnome-volume-properties app, can this play nice with hal, or be finely tuned?
Husse

Post by Husse »

http://man.root.cz/1/gnome-volume-properties/
I think that it at least has some potential, but I have not played with this toys - I wish I had the time but I work full time besides Mint

Return to “Hardware Support”