[emu0202/alsa] I'm going insane

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[emu0202/alsa] I'm going insane

Postby Bren on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:49 am

Hi. To fully convert to Linux -- to rid myself of Windows -- I must first enable this device for use. I've been trying to, but it just doesn't go. I've checked sites, instructions, Synaptic Package Manager, etc., etc. None proved successful. One method in particular -- to download the alsa drivers and make/install them -- didn't work at all, as it stopped at ./configure giving the error that the C compiler cannot create executables, even though it should! Arrrggh!!

When checking the package manager, I saw that alsa-base, alsa-firmware, and alsa-firmwareloaders were already installed, but it's not working. I deactivated the onboard soundcard via the BIOS and now there is nothing at all in the Sound options. Arrgh!

Please provide methods in proper order with clarity that just gets the job done, so on my disk I can grow Linux and throw Windows.
Bren
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [emu0202/alsa] I'm going insane

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 am

USB sound generally "just works"
I think you don't have build essential installed
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9234
Install and make a new attempt
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [emu0202/alsa] I'm going insane

Postby Bren on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:14 pm

You seem to be correct, Husse, about the USB thing. Thanks. (The build-essential too.)

I fought this thing passionately. When the apparatus is on and the system boots, it usually takes longer to boot (also true when shutting down). When it is (being) turned off the system starts more quickly (also true when shutting down). Usually I had the thing on and on startup (or shutdown) it would not be detected (and hang (for a long time)). But, when I turned it off and then on while the system was on, I heard a welcoming sound. I was skeptical and opened a video file to test............ can you imagine my reaction as I finally heard it coming through?

There's still problems, though: the sound volume icon in the lower right corner always shows a negating cross; it doesn't find any device to control. Also there's some hiss occurring every few seconds. Now I just need to solve that and get it working with Ardour which seems to be an even bigger problem :x Ardour shows my resource use values almost up to 100%!!
Bren
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support