No Sound, Daryna

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

No Sound, Daryna

Post by jokersloose »

Hey all,

A friend of mine has a Dell 2400 that was off the net for about 3 months. So I run the updates and now I have no sound. It worked before and I am at a loss as to what to look at next. I have checked

alsamixer: nothing mutted
System sound: not mutted
Even restarted the sound in terminal still nothing
Restart of the OS does nothing either.

Out put of lspci -v is:

Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 0160
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
I/O ports at ee00
I/O ports at edc0
Memory at feb7fa00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at feb7f900 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities:

Can someone help me with the next step to trouble shot.

Thanks,

James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No Sound, Daryna

Post by 67GTA »

You might try resetting the default card. Sometimes a kernel update can mess with the modules. Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo alsaconf
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jokersloose

Re: No Sound, Daryna

Post by jokersloose »

OK tried that and it told me "no such command" or something to that effect. Next?

Also, I know it's me being stupid. But my laptop has been running with zero issues so I can't seem to remember things like I did when I first installed. When she minamizes a window it drops behind her task bar. If we hit ALT+Tab we can pull them back up. But she wants it back to where she can see them in her task bar. I have looked in the Control Panel and looked under the things that I thought would apply to the desktop but like I said just being stupid I guess. How do I fix that as well?

James

Return to “Hardware Support”