Anyone know how to get drivers for my nVidia 740m?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Anyone know how to get drivers for my nVidia 740m?

Postby phrostbyte on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 am

Can anyone help me out? Here's a screenshot of my current situation:

As you can see.. I installed and updated everything. But in Driver manager, nothing shows up. When I use lspci it displays the nVidia GPU but only under 3D controllers, not under VGA controllers... any ideas?
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Anyone know how to get drivers for my nVidia 740m?

Postby clfarron4 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 am

First things first, do you have an Intel Card (often known as nVidia Optimus in Windows?) under the VGA controllers?

If not, add the Xedgers repository, update your X stack and install 331.20.

If you do, you'll need to set-up BumbleBee as well as the nVidia stack.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby phrostbyte on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:42 am

I tried them both.. also tried killing mdm, going to terminal and installing the .run installation from nvidia.com.

Didn't work in LM.. didn't work in Ubuntu, basically just doesn't work at all. I think it's cuz Linux identifies my card as only a 3D accelerator, and not a GPU. I was afraid this would happen... I tried using Linux again after being in the army for 3 years.. and it still isn't ready for daily use. :(

I really wanted to start using LM for everything.. including gaming on Steam... oh well, I guess I'll try again in another year.
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GreenCatX on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Don't give up, Mint is really good and user-friendly Linux. I've been trying to switch from Windows since 2000 and Mint is the first distribution I really like. I use Windows sometimes for games, but only because I'm to lazy to search for "howto" for Linux :P Steam works on Linux now, you have Cinnamon, KDE, Mate instead of "windows", Libre or Open Office, everything runs perfectly :) Yes, you may have to write some stuff in Terminal but you can also use Software Manager or sth else - it's really simple, just different. What you have in return is freedom of choice and total control - no junk adware, unwanted addons or stupid restrictions. For free...

About nVidia 740M - check my hardware page: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/17183
I noticed you read the topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=146729 - on weekend I'll test Linux Mint 16 and update my "procedure" installing nVidia with Optimus hybrid GPU.
Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 / i5-3230M / NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M / Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon 64-bit
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Please don't run the installer from nvidia.com, instead use the steps which I posted to install nvidia 319 and bumblebee. That is enough. You don't need any further upgrades if you use Mint 16.

That Driver Manager is empty is normal, that is done for a reason because you can't just install the NVIDIA driver on an Optimus system. It will break, as you already experienced. Bumblebee makes it working.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby phrostbyte on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:14 pm

You don't think I should try the latest nvidia drivers?
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clfarron4 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 am

phrostbyte wrote:You don't think I should try the latest nvidia drivers?

Try it with @AlbertP's instructions first. If that doesn't work, add the Xedgers repository and try again with the 331.20 drivers from the repository. Don't use 331.20 from the nVidia website.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby GreenCatX on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 am

Well, I have no good news... I've been trying all day to get my 740M running on Petra, but no success :( I'm really annoyed - wasn't it suppose to be easier in Petra? Well, it's even worse that in Mint 15 - nothing works: no optimus, no primus, no glxspheres (only glxgears), bumblebee doesn't work either. I tried different drivers and kernels, but no luck. When I try to run anything with optirun I get this:
Code: Select all
$ optirun nvidia-settings -c :8
[  492.260214] [ERROR]No bridge found. Try installing primus or virtualgl.
or something about bumblebee daemon not running.
Some more output:
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           X.Org: 1.14.4.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.0.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
$ dmesg | grep bbswitch
[   28.101904] bbswitch: version 0.7
[   28.101910] bbswitch: Found integrated VGA device 0000:00:02.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0
[   28.101915] bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
[   28.102012] bbswitch: detected an Optimus _DSM function
[   28.102046] bbswitch: Succesfully loaded. Discrete card 0000:01:00.0 is on
[   28.103641] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics

$ lspci -k | grep -A2 VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3904
   Kernel driver in use: i915

$ lspci | grep 3D
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] (rev ff)

$  cat  /proc/acpi/bbswitch
0000:01:00.0 OFF
Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 / i5-3230M / NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M / Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon 64-bit
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SignorBari on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:47 pm

phrostbyte wrote:You don't think I should try the latest nvidia drivers?

If you are using kernel 3.11 or later you will need 331.20. As the others have said, use the xedgers ppa rather than the nvidia website.
SignorBari
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm

GreenCatX, Please install "virtualgl" from the repository

Phrostbyte, if you get the same error when doing "optirun" you might need to install it too.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby GreenCatX on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm

@AlbertP,
I already tried to install virtualgl:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package virtualgl is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'virtualgl' has no installation candidate

Do you know where I can find it?
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:00 pm

That's weird. Ubuntu 13.10's version of Bumblebee seems to be missing the virtualgl package. Maybe 'primus' can be installed instead?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby phrostbyte on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for trying Joanna. I'm sad. :cry:
maybe when the kernel gets advanced enough to handle it's own GPU switching someone will make a simple GUI wrapper for it and everythign will be easy peasy? I can dream can't I?!?!?
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GreenCatX on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Well, maybe Petra is just too young :) It looks like the only problem now is that "virtualgl" stuff missing, so we have to be patient. I have a big mess on my laptop now, so I'll try once again from the fresh install and if it doesn't work, I'll wait another week or two for some updates. I'm sure the solution will be available sooner or later.
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby phrostbyte on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I hope so... I'll keep my linux partition for now. But if nothing changes I'll probably delete it in the next coming weeks to give my windows partition more room. Either way, in about 5 months Ubuntu LTS comes out, and of course, LM17 shortly after that. I'm hoping things pick up by then.
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GreenCatX on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm

OK, I'm not entirely sure if it really works, because I'm still getting this error from optirun nvidia-settings:
"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.",
and in optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8 there is some strange stuff as well (640x480 resolution for example).
But it seems to work - I checked it with my usual Minecraft Snooper and it shows the proper nVidia driver, however there is only around 60 fps, which is not too good.

Anyway, here is how I did it:

1. Install Linux Mint afresh (to clean the mess from previous attempts, if any).

2. Add repository for X-server updates and install all updates:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

3. Install bumblebee
    sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus linux-headers-generic

REBOOT

4. Update nVidia driver:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-319-updates nvidia-settings-319-updates

5. Edit /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf and set:

Driver=nvidia

KernelDriver=nvidia-319-updates

LibraryPath=/usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates:/usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates

XorgModulePath=/usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules

Please reply, if you notice an error on my path ;) I'm a green cat, so any advice is always welcome.
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boldos on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 am

phrostbyte wrote:Can anyone help me out? Here's a screenshot of my current situation:

As you can see.. I installed and updated everything. But in Driver manager, nothing shows up. When I use lspci it displays the nVidia GPU but only under 3D controllers, not under VGA controllers... any ideas?

Hi phrostbyte,

been there, done that :) ...so my 2cents of experience with Mint15 and Mint16 on similar configuration over the past 6 months:
1) Based on yor screenshot, you have both Intel HD graphics and nVidia graphics (is this a relatively new laptop?). This means your have most probably so called nVidia Optimus technology on your system, and that means that standard linux nVidia drivers *WILL NOT WORK*, because nVidia are bad guys and their official linux drivers DO NOT contain support for their own nVidia Optimus technology. You must use Bumblebee drivers, otherwise you will never have this working....
2) There seems to be a difference between Mint15 and Mint16 with regards to Bumblebee support success rate. On Mint15 Olivia, you can install Bumblebee with VirtualGL support, and this works fine. On Mint16 Petra, this does not work so far. Mint16 uses newer linux kernel, and that means that Bumblebee with VirtualGL is not available. On Mint16 Bumblebee must be installed with Primus support, and that does not seem to be working on Mint16 yet (see here viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152921&p=800661#p800661 ).

So, I suppose you download & install Mint15 (Olivia), and that you install Bumblebee with VirtualGL support ( as described in guide here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation , only Basic Setup should be necessary).

Of cource, once Bumblebee in stalled, do not forget to run your application using optirun <application> statement to fully use the power of your built-in nV card...

Please let me know if this works for you :)
Boldos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:37 am

Boldos wrote:Mint16 uses newer linux kernel, and that means that Bumblebee with VirtualGL is not available. On Mint16 Bumblebee must be installed with Primus support, and that does not seem to be working on Mint16 yet (see here viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152921&p=800661#p800661 ).

Don't think it's related to the kernel, the virtualgl package is just missing from the repository in 16, while 15 had it in the Bumblebee PPA.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby GreenCatX on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:02 am

@Boldos,
We know that we have nVidia graphics with the Optimus technology - didn't you read the topic from the beginning? And yes, we know that it works under LM15 Olivia, however not perfectly.
Having "a relatively new laptop" I was hoping to achieve better performance and stability with Petra, and I'm not dissapointed. The system is indeed more stable and comfortable to work with, exept this one problem with VirtualGL missing. It's definitely not the problem with kernel, as I had to upgrade to the same kernel on Mint 15, 'cos the old one didn't work with the Optimus at all. I know it's possible to install VirtualGL package separately, and I'm sure the performance will increase after upgrading kernel to 3.12 and nVidia drivers to 331, but I'm not very advanced in Linux, so I'll rather wait for someone more experienced to do it and provide the solution.
Do you have a solution?
GreenCatX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Skrell on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 am

GreenCatX wrote:@Boldos,
exept this one problem with VirtualGL missing. It's definitely not the problem with kernel, as I had to upgrade to the same kernel on Mint 15, 'cos the old one didn't work with the Optimus at all. I know it's possible to install VirtualGL package separately, and I'm sure the performance will increase after upgrading kernel to 3.12 and nVidia drivers to 331, but I'm not very advanced in Linux, so I'll rather wait for someone more experienced to do it and provide the solution.
Do you have a solution?

What is the result of this? Does it mean that Bumblebee simply won't work? Is the system useable in this state? (I also am new to linux btw and trying to figure out this crap with Nvidia)
Skrell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support