<SOLVED>How merge two hard drives

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

<SOLVED>How merge two hard drives

Postby Herby Pepper on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:25 pm

I am trying to install Linux mint 13 on eeepc 901 laptop with one ~12gb ssd hard drive. It used to have windows xp.

My problem is that when I am going through installation process , on the step “partition” it show me two hard drives. First 4gb and second 8gb. I can not merge them. And only first one (4gb) can be sda. So for my system I have just 4gb (not enough).

I would like to have one partition 12gb. Is there any program that I can use in live linux mint to sort this out ? Or any other suggestions?

Many Thanks
Herby Pepper
Last edited by Herby Pepper on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herby Pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How merge two hard drives

Postby MartyMint on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Have you tried running Gparted to delete the partitions first?

You can get it here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 pm

As MartyMint pointed out, GParted is the perfect tool for sorting out that problem. However, it should already be included on your live Mint DVD/USB. Depending on which version your are using (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE), you can find it under Menu -> Administration (or System) -> GParted. If, for some reason, it's not on there you can install it into the live environment quickly by entering the following into a terminal (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal):
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gparted

*** Once installed, open GParted and wait few seconds for it to read your disks.
*** In upper right corner, make sure it has selected your ssd and not a different drive.
*** Click on each partition you want to eliminate and hit delete button.
*** Once the partitions are selected for deletion, hit the "Apply" button to actually carry out the deletions.
*** Now you should have nothing but empty space.

From here you can either create the partitions you want ahead of time with GParted; or leave the empty space and create them with the partitioning part of the installer.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Herby Pepper on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Thank you both for answers, but it is not two partitions but two separate hard drives.

Update: I thought that eepc has one ssd and mine was somehow split in to two. But actually (just found this out) it really has two hard drive inside.
I guess I have to look for other, smaller linux distro to install on 4gb. :?

Thanks anyway
Herby Pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Herby Pepper wrote:Thank you both for answers, but it is not two partitions but two separate hard drives.

Update: I thought that eepc has one ssd and mine was somehow split in to two. But actually (just found this out) it really has two hard drive inside.
I guess I have to look for other, smaller linux distro to install on 4gb. :?

Thanks anyway

I'm not familiar with machine you've got, but most likely you have an ssd for loading the operating system on and a separate drive for keeping your data on. From your first post, it sounded like the ssd had been divided into two partitions from when you had WinXP on it. If that is the case, you should delete those two partitions, then make one large 12GB partition to use for the "/" (root) system partition and you can make the "/home" and "swap" partitions reside on the second drive.

If you can, boot-up the live DVD/USB and post back screenshots from GParted -- one with the ssd selected and the other with the second drive selected -- so we can see have an accurate picture of what you're dealing with. Use the "Upload attachment" tab on the forum interface (below where you type in response) to load the pics. When taking screenshots, select option to use the active window instead of entire screen.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm pretty sure all eepcs have a single drive Check this with Gparted.

Anyway, in case it's actually two drives, check out the btrfs filesystem, as it allows you to use multiple drives/partitions by combining their capacities. http://www.zdnet.com/btrfs-hands-on-an- ... 000023734/
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gold_finger on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Just had another thought.

Are you by any chance trying to do the install from a 4GB live USB?

If so, then GParted is showing the 4GB USB as one drive and the 8GB drive is the one you want to install to.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Herby Pepper on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:50 pm

gold_finger - I thought that I have one ssd, but now I am convinced there are 2 ssd.
I found this about my model, this guy changing ssd for the bigger one:
” The 4Gb is easily accessible under the “maintenance” cover on the back of the netbook”
"The 8Gb disc is not installed to be easy to access. it is even soldered onto the motherboard”

bobafetthotmail - I was thinking like you, but it looks like the one that I am dealing with has two ssd.

gold_finger - good guess, I do use 4gb usb, but I did install linux on the 4gb drive and after reboot without usb it worked, so it is not my usb that shows.

I attached screenshot from gparted showing hard drives.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
gparted
Herby Pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:11 pm

did you check the article I posted? it details how to use btrfs file system to use multiple partitions/devices as a single partition. With that you should be able to "join" the two drives (from a live-cd) and install Mint.

btrfs is neat. Brings RAID-like stuff to a whole new level of user-friendlyness.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Herby Pepper on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:20 pm

I did read it. And it looks very good, I thing it is what I am looking for. I am going to try it and I will post the results.
Herby Pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Herby Pepper on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 pm

I could not get my head around btrfs solution that bobafetthotmail sugest, but I found similar, very good, strait forward tutorial how to do it with lvm:
http://wiki.jaumesola.com/LinuxMint/Ins ... onEeePc901
It worked without any problems. :D
Herby Pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support