Trying to fix multimedia keys on Toshiba Satellite S75D

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seanharris1991

Re: Trying to fix multimedia keys on Toshiba Satellite S75D

Post by seanharris1991 »

hi,

just an update to my comment above. i have installed different kernel versions to my installation and my mute key stops working at version 3.11. i have checked my 60-keyboard.hwdb file and it is no different to the one that is in the defult install of linux mint 16.

Regards
tato11

Post by tato11 »

Hi seanharris1991,

After reading your message, I decided to install Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop to test it just like you did, and I just find something really interesting while trying to fix my laptop brightness that actually proves that it is a kernel related issue :).

If you add the following parameter to the grub "acpi_osi=Linux" then function key on the keyboard will switch its key codes and all can be configured to work (tested and set using "setkeycodes <key_code> <event_code>" command like roblm said) except by the "Toggle Touchpad" one (Fn + F5). If I am not mistaken, this happens because the "acpi_osi=Linux" parameter tells the kernel to use different acpi modules instead of the vendor ones (in this case, toshiba_acpi module), generating new keycodes and using the AT keyboard (the main one that includes the letters and all the other stuff) instead of "Toshiba input device" one.

Said this, I think that maybe toshiba_acpi module just translate the "Toshiba input device" keys using a generic key-event configuration or even assigned to a non-keyboard key type. I still want to be able to set every key using the default kernel configuration so I will perform some more test to try to map the remaing keys and remove the double event from Fn+F2 and Fn+F3.
seanharris1991

Post by seanharris1991 »

Hi tato11,

that's amazing news, at least the problem has been identified but hopefully soon we will not need to add "acpi_osi=Linux" in the grub.cfg to get it to work. if there is anything more i can help with please let me know.
seanharris1991

Post by seanharris1991 »

Hi,

has there been any progress on this or not as i am in the same boat and i would like to get all of the function keys working

Regards
tato11

Post by tato11 »

Sorry man, I haven't found anything else. I performed a couple tests a month ago but nothing changed... so my last resource is to learn more about Linux kernel and its acpi modules, and understand the exact way it works to find out if there is a way to setup those keys so if not possible then actually fix it from there... but that is a long term stuff, doing that would be really difficult and take a really long time so it is my last resource. I mean, I just self learned to create DEB packages and also am currently learning about make install files which was really hard, now imagine doing that but learning the linux kernel :(

Anyways, I will keep you posted for any new stuff I found about it.

PS: Just in case you are curious about the DEB package stuff, I am working on a script to auto download the latest ffmpeg and codecs (a really lot of them) source code, compile, get shared libraries, and create a wrapper package with all of this (which I call "ffmpeg-build") and then install it as a DEB package on opt directory (like a third party stuff) letting you use the latest ffmpeg and codecs but without screwing with the system repository in any way :D

Return to “Hardware Support”