Having trouble with USB keyboard at login

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Having trouble with USB keyboard at login

Postby igot8001 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:48 pm

So my USB keyboard will work for GRUB OS selection screen, and it will even work during Linux startup, but probably around 80% of the time, it will not operate at all once the Linux login screen comes up. No keys work, no indicator lights, nothing.

USB Legacy is enable in bios.

Unplugging and replugging keyboard doesn't work. Sometimes a similar problem occurs with my USB mouse, but a simple unplug/replug is all it takes to get it working again.

The only other USB device connected to the PC (besides the keyboard and mouse) is a set of USB headphones, which cannot be unplugged during startup because the gui alsamixer will not recognize it as a sound device then... which really shouldn't matter because the gui alsamixer has never worked properly with my headphones anyway :? .

The other 20% of the time, the keyboard works flawlessly, at least the 105 keys I'm concerned with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, all of my USB peripherals are plugged directly into the machine. My hardware works. There is no listed support for my particular keyboard under administration > keyboard layout.

Googling the problem, it seems to happen somewhat often to people who have USB keyboards, but pretty much every time that the issue continues past everything that I've already mentioned there is still no answer for the issue and the thread completely dies.
Last edited by igot8001 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Linux newbie. Offer me help, please and tanks.
igot8001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Having trouble with USB keyboard at login

Postby Lhazfarg on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 am

Is the keyboard directly connected or via a hub?
Lhazfarg
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support