Laptop Sound makes frequency noise

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Laptop Sound makes frequency noise

Postby N8Wolf on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I have a HP laptop with Mint 5 installed. Having my sound on has become a pain in the brain... there is a frequency noise sound that can be heard constantly, even without using any Media. If I do play any media, i.e. movies or music, the louder I put the sound level, the louder the noise.

Best I can describe it is it sounds like a PA system that's just switched on, with no feed plugged in yet.... kinda a wizzing sound.

Any ideas?

I don't know how to generate a list of my hardware to post here, so if needed, please do tell as well.

Thanx
N8Wolf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Laptop Sound makes frequency noise

Postby rivenought on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Have you verified to see if a microphone or some other input might be enabled when it should be muted? Have you tried moving your sliders up and down in the mixer to see if one of them might be a problem? Those are the first things that come to mind and items I would check before going further. Perhaps it is a simple fix. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Laptop Sound makes frequency noise

Postby N8Wolf on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:25 am

Hi Rivenought;

My initial thoughts are . . . :oops: :oops: :oops:

It was the Mike sound level after all.
Thank you for that one.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Another problem, on another Laptop in my network the sound works, but the volume slider only knows two settings, 100% or 0%.

Sliding it halfway causes it to just jump up or down. Makes for quite a loud bootup.

Any ideas anyone

Thanx
N8Wolf
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support