Unable to connect Android devices to Mint 16 Petra

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hadobac

Unable to connect Android devices to Mint 16 Petra

Post by hadobac »

Hi guys,

So here's the deal: I can't connect my Sony Xpera Z Ultra to Mint 16 Petra, using MTP.

I installed mtp-tools, gmtp... all these packages, but there's not even a sign of the device being connected.

This is the output of mtp-detect

Code: Select all

Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.libmtp version: 1.1.6

Listing raw device(s)
   No raw devices found.
The output of adb-devices

List of devices attached 
????????????	no permissions
I even added the '/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules', which is not recommended since "Mint 16 has native support for MTP":

SUBSYSTEMS==”usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”0fce″, ATTRS{idProduct}==”519c″, MODE=”0666″
SUBSYSTEMS==”usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”0fce″, ATTRS{idProduct}==”e19c″, MODE=”0666″
SUBSYSTEMS==”usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”0fce″, ATTRS{idProduct}==”0dde″, MODE=”0666″
I found this issue fairly unusual, considering it works out of the box with Ubuntu Saucy.

Any ideas, guys ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-RYknow

Re: Unable to connect Android devices to Mint 16 Petra

Post by -RYknow »

I'm having the same issue with an older Sony MP3 player. I keep getting an MTP error when I plug it in.

I too went the root of installing gmtp and mtp-tools. Just to find out one of those packages or the combination of both together, cause my usb thumbdrives and external hd's to all become read only. I ended up installing xubuntu 13.10 on my netbook, and my mp3 player, and all my thumb drives and external hd's worked correctly.

I've since removed both gmtp and mtp-tools and now my thumb drives and external hd's work as they should...but I can't for the life of me get the mp3 player to work with mint 16. It's funny, cause a fresh install of xubuntu, and the mp3 player pops right up without issue. This is a very lame issue for mint to have. :roll: Sad too that google is FULL of other people having the same issue... and there doesn't seem to be a solid fix yet. I think it's clear that this is a mint issue... and it's one that needs to be addressed. Android devices aren't going anywhere... and for god sakes.. I just want to be able to put music on my MP3 player.

-RYknow
hadobac

Post by hadobac »

Thanks for the post RYknow, what a great feeling having somebody out there report the same issue, which apparently nobody seems to give a shit.

Anyway, I've been struggling for a few days, and found a couple "solutions"

+ Mount folder: This approach works partially: http://www.mysolutions.it/mounting-your ... on-ubuntu/. Nemo displays 2 folders: SD Card and Internal Memory, but unable to access further. Nevertheless, Baobab (aka Disk Usage Analyser) displays the contents of these folder correctly.
+ USB port 3.0: According to AskUbuntu, MTP might function if it is connected to a USB 3.0 port. I don't, hence can't test it out.
+ SG USB Mass Storage Enabler: This app lets you to switch from MTP to Mass Storage, and you can mount Memory Cards, just like the good old Android 2.x times. The downside of inability to mount internal storage, but meh, better than nothing. I use this one myself. Install from Play Store.

Right... let me know if any of these approach work for you. Hope I can help.
galearned

Post by galearned »

I also am able to connect an Android MTP device to my LINUX Mint 15 or 16.
Features indicate native support for MTP devices but, I don't see this as any different than prior versions.
Is there a solution???

I am getting annoyed with using LINUX for all the work then having to boot into Windows to see my Android device...
I am tried all the usual fixes with Go-MTP,etc. and nothing works.

Regards
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You could connect your device wirelessly using AirDroid:

http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/02/airdr ... -from.html
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

How to mount Android via file manager
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 07#p815907
1. Install packages libmtp-runtime libmtp-common mtpfs
sudo apt-get install libmtp-runtime libmtp-common mtpfs
2. Plug Android via USB-cable to the computer.
samgurung

Post by samgurung »

I have all of those packages installed but still cant get MTP to work. The device does not show in the file manager. Anyone out there with any solutions...this is getting frustrating!!!!
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

samgurung wrote:I have all of those packages installed but still cant get MTP to work. The device does not show in the file manager. Anyone out there with any solutions...this is getting frustrating!!!!
Make a mount point by hand.

mkdir ~/android
Mount Android tablet or phone

mtpfs ~/android
Umount Android tablet or phone

fusermount -u ~/android
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqOYqwGkk8
hadobac

Post by hadobac »

administrollaattori wrote:
samgurung wrote:I have all of those packages installed but still cant get MTP to work. The device does not show in the file manager. Anyone out there with any solutions...this is getting frustrating!!!!

mkdir ~/android

mtpfs ~/android

fusermount -u ~/android
Well, this bug occurs for command that involves mtpfs:

~ $ mtpfs '/media/Z Ultra'
Unable to read MTPZ public exponent from ~/.mtpz-data, MTPZ disabledListing raw device(s)
   No raw devices found.
Any ideas, mate?
Sam Sung

Post by Sam Sung »

I have the same issue. Seems like the MTP support in Mint is just not ready yet.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

hadobac wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:

mkdir ~/android

mtpfs ~/android

fusermount -u ~/android
Well, this bug occurs for command that involves mtpfs:

~ $ mtpfs '/media/Z Ultra'
Unable to read MTPZ public exponent from ~/.mtpz-data, MTPZ disabledListing raw device(s)
   No raw devices found.
Any ideas, mate?
Mint requires the next packages to be installed: libmtp-runtime libmtp-common mtpfs
Sam Sung

Post by Sam Sung »

Mint requires the next packages to be installed: libmtp-runtime libmtp-common mtpfs
The OP and I have these installed, also mtp-tools, libmtp9, qlix
Mounting of the device works for me, but I am unable to open any of the files i see, I get a file not found error in Nemo as soon as i click on any of the files.
hadobac

Post by hadobac »

Sam Sung wrote:
The OP and I have these installed, also mtp-tools, libmtp9, qlix
Mounting of the device works for me, but I am unable to open any of the files i see, I get a file not found error in Nemo as soon as i click on any of the files.
That's true, I too got all these packages installed.
Sam Sung

Post by Sam Sung »

Meanwhile i upgraded to Android 4.3, but the problem with MTP and Linux mint prevails. It is really something that should work out of the box - as advertised.
Here someone seriously recommends to dual boot into Ubuntu as a solution for Mint users, because it apparently works there: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2193699
jansek

Post by jansek »

Hi There,

well I'm a newbie, so it will be hard for me to help.
Just wanted to state the I alsoi can mnt the phone (Sony Xperia M Dual), I can browse the Folders, but I cannot copy any files. So this seems to be a common issue.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

jansek wrote:Hi There,

well I'm a newbie, so it will be hard for me to help.
Just wanted to state the I alsoi can mnt the phone (Sony Xperia M Dual), I can browse the Folders, but I cannot copy any files. So this seems to be a common issue.
Try with gMTP

sudo apt-get install gmtp
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/saucy/gmtp/

Edit: Just tested with Mint 16 Mate and Android and no problems with copying, etc. .. :wink:
Sam Sung

Post by Sam Sung »

With gmtp installed I don't even get the folders and files listed any more. : (
Do you have USB debugging in the develper settings activated? (i have tried both).
mtp.png
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Sam Sung wrote:With gmtp installed I don't even get the folders and files listed any more. : (
Do you have USB debugging in the develper settings activated? (i have tried both).
mtp.png
With gMTP you need to tick Attemp to connect device on startup .. :wink:
Sam Sung

Post by Sam Sung »

ok, now i see the files again, but still can't open them.
mtp2.png
Boblebad

Post by Boblebad »

I had the can't mount and MTP error, and if it mounted, it was only for a few seconds.

First of, i thought is was the install of GMTP that did the trick, but i wasn't.

Check your cables, pinch the usb connectors a bit, so it gets a better connection, do it with both the little for the device and the big one for the PC.

That did the trick for me :)

All the best
Carsten

Return to “Hardware Support”