No sound on Aluminum iMac

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2-7offsuit
Level 1
Level 1

No sound on Aluminum iMac

Post by 2-7offsuit »

I installed Mint on my triple boot iMac last night. So far everything looks good, except that I have no sound. Is this a known issue? I've been searching around the forums, but I haven't found anything yet. Should I try installing the alsa 1.0.17 release, or is there something else I can do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: No sound on Aluminum iMac

Post by miket »

Hi !
2-7offsuit wrote:I installed Mint on my triple boot iMac last night. So far everything looks good, except that I have no sound. Is this a known issue? I've been searching around the forums, but I haven't found anything yet. Should I try installing the alsa 1.0.17 release, or is there something else I can do?
I have one of the earlier 20in iMac all white model and the sound works right out the box ... which I would expect as the sound system is Intel based ...

What sound system have you got in your iMac ?

Mike.
2-7offsuit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2-7offsuit »

I believe it's called HDA Intel. Is that what you meant by sounds system?

i followed this from the Ubuntu iMac wiki:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options 
and add "options snd-hda-intel model=imac24" to the file and save then reboot.

Now the sound sort of works... It makes some noise, but the quality is terrible. It's quite and flat. It kind of sounds like it's coming out of a cell phone speaker or something. Does anyone have any suggestions?
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
2-7offsuit wrote:I believe it's called HDA Intel. Is that what you meant by sounds system?

i followed this from the Ubuntu iMac wiki:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options 
and add "options snd-hda-intel model=imac24" to the file and save then reboot.

Now the sound sort of works... It makes some noise, but the quality is terrible. It's quite and flat. It kind of sounds like it's coming out of a cell phone speaker or something. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sound in Linux is a long way behind sound in OS X ;)

Mike
2-7offsuit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2-7offsuit »

Really? Should it make this big of a difference? I mean this sounds bad, pretty much unlistenable. Besides, I feel like it sounded a lot better back in Gustsy. Maybe there's something in the settings now that's making it worse?
2-7offsuit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2-7offsuit »

So is that it? I refuse to believe that sound in Linux is this bad.
Kongu

Post by Kongu »

Try:

options snd-hda-intel model=mbp3

instead of:

options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

then save and reboot.

Return to “Hardware Support”