kernel modules sound and modem solved

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

kernel modules sound and modem solved

Postby frogcity on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:37 pm

I just installed Elyssa. Kernel install was 2.6.24-16-generic. Everything worked except modem. I installed restricted drivers from synaptic. This gave me another kernel choice on boot up. 2.6.24-16-386. Modem and internet work great, sound does not work at all until I boot back into the generic kernel. Then I lose the modem. The modules working the modem are ltserial and ltmodem. While in generic I tried sudo modprobe ltmodem and get module not found error. I copied from the 386 directory and pasted them into the generic, but same error. How do I get these to work together with the same kernel? What is the diff between 386 and generic?
frogcity
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: kernel modules sound and modem

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 am

I installed restricted drivers from synaptic.

You installed the wrong restricted - obviously you installed the 386 and not the generic ones
You should select the generic if your kernel is generic, 386 if your kernel is 386 and so on
You should also use the same version number - for standard Elyssa 2.6.24-16
and better use the restricted drivers tool - it's Hardware Drivers in Control Center > Hardware
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby frogcity on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:30 pm

I kind of realized that when I installed it. I was just kind of wishful thinking, hoping.......

That was the only place that I could find the ltmodem and ltserial modules. I did try the restricted modules tool, but doesn't show up there. Ubuntu show support docs for lucent modem up to hardy heron.

I think I got it. Open source driver called martian. http://martian.barrelsoutofbond.org/index.html

Got a couple of issues I got to figure out yet. I got to load marian module at start up. martian_modem does not run as user, but root does. wvdialconf will tag the port as root, but user is denied access to serial port.

My thinking is that load module at startup, change permisions on martian_modem to allow execution by users, load it in the gnome services and I should be good to go with gppp.
frogcity
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:35 pm

To your question about the difference between generic and 386 - it's about which processors the kernel supports The 386 should be called x86 because that's what it is
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby frogcity on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Still cant quite get it.

Modem module (martian_dev) loads correctly at startup. Docs say then to run martian_modem as user (/usr/sbin/martian_modem), but I get a permission denied. I can run it as sudo /usr/sbin/martian_modem. It then gives me port /dev/ttySM0. I can access as su but not as user. Still gives me permission denied when I tap the port. I tried changing the ownership of the binary to the user, but that still did not work. How do I get this to work with user rights?

Another wierd thing. I tried to sudo echo >> martian_dev /etc/modules and got permision denied. but I was able to sudo nano /etc/modules and insert the line manually and save it.
frogcity
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 am

I think it should be
sudo echo > whatever
only one >
and sometimes the sudo is not doing quite what you think
It should be
Code: Select all
echo martian_dev | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

I have to figure out an answer to your basic question, but I don't use a modem.....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby frogcity on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:29 am

I found the answer.

Code: Select all
martian_modem --daemon --user=root --group=dialout --mode=0660

This is inserted into the /etc/rc.local file. Rebooted the computer and now gppp can send commands to the newly created port as user without permission issues.

Thanks
frogcity
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support