No Sound on Dell with Creative SB X-FI

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No Sound on Dell with Creative SB X-FI

Postby cliff76 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:32 am

I installed Mint Elyssa KDE a few days ago and I'm pretty much up and running except for one thing. My dell sports a Creative Sound Blaster XFi card and apparently the driver is hard to install/use. I'm almost tempted to roll back into Windows because I need to hear my IMs. (That brings up another problem. Kopete doesn't work well when I'm logged into my account simultaneously from my Macbook, the only way I can catch IM notifications.) The only dirvers I've been able to find is the beta one offered by Creative and a link indicating OSS support is available via some download that I can't find on http://opensound.com. Is there a guide for installing/configuring OSS on Mint or Ububntu that I can follow? Has anyone else faced and resolved this issue? Thanx in advance!

Cliff
cliff76
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Sound on Dell with Creative SB X-FI

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:15 am

I'm afraid that you've already found the only link I know of. It seems that the support in Elyssa/Hardy is close non existent while earlier versions may have some support.
However the solution in the link works also in Elyssa I think - I have forgotten if it's complicated or not
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: No Sound on Dell with Creative SB X-FI

Postby cliff76 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:46 am

I feel like I got really close to getting the ALSA X-FI driver to work. Still, I'm giving up on it because its taking too long and I'm frustrated. I've managed to try the hack in my above link but I get segmentation faults when I "make install" even after editing the source. From what I've read it may make more sense to go with the OSS driver though I've had a lot of bad luck using OSS under KDE. I might try this especially if they've fixed the Firefox/Flash issue. (It looks like they might have.)
cliff76
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support