General Enquiries

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

General Enquiries

Postby Trimeresurus on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:12 am

Well, after installing Ubuntu a couple of weeks ago, my experience of it has been nothing short of a nightmare, subsequently, I have decided to give Linux Mint a try.

I do however have a few questions with relation to hardware compatibility.

- After installing Ubuntu, it took rather a long time, and the help of a friend in order to get the integrated WiFi card on this system actually working, the card in question is manufactured by Atheros, but from what I can gather, Linux support for Atheros cards is somewhat thin on the ground? It would be nice to know if, by a stroke of lucky my card will work 'out of the box', or if there is a 'quick fix' of sorts.

- Is there a quick and easy way to leave my files on this system, but get rid of Ubuntu completely upon installing Linux Mint? I suppose my only option would be to leave Ubuntu on this system temporarily, transfer the files to Mint, and then somehow delete Ubuntu?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Trimeresurus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: General Enquiries

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 am

Unless you have some separate partition for your data you assume correctly
Atheros is a bit of a problem but several Atheros chips work with the Windows drivers and ndiswrapper so to say something definite I need to know the chip
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support