KBN-I/2100 AMD Kabini board and G3D drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
intok

KBN-I/2100 AMD Kabini board and G3D drivers

Post by intok »

So I'm running Mint 16 w/ the Oibaf PPA, wanting to get a fully working UVD, VCE and 3D going, but currently UVD isn't working, haven't tried VCE or 3D yet though.

What settings do I need to change and where are they?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: KBN-I/2100 AMD Kabini board and G3D drivers

Post by AlbertP »

It is possible that you also need a newer kernel to use features that were recently introduced into the AMD driver: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185

Kabini is still quite new so it's not unlikely that the default kernel of Mint does not have 100% support yet with open-source drivers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
intok

Post by intok »

Ah, I see, Oibaf apparently doesn't include updated kernels as well like xorg-edgers did, so what PPA would be compatible with Oibaf? Or is there an all included PPA that I should purge Oibaf for?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I just posted the link to a kernel upgrade how-to which does not require the use of PPA's.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185

There's a lot of kernel versions you can try there. I would first try the stable 3.13-6 version, before going to release candidates like 3.14-rc.
intok

Post by intok »

Yeah, but then you have to keep manually updating it if you want to stay current. The point of the PPA is that it's tied into Apt/Synaptic.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

A kernel is something you usually once update to a working version and then leave alone, since kernel updates can easily break stuff especially when going from one major version to another. That is why the recommended way of getting a new kernel is not using a PPA, but manually. Then you don't get further updates when you don't need a newer kernel than you already have.
intok

Post by intok »

Eh, I'll just purge and switch to Edgers, I used it for a year on Mint13 with the Nouveau drivers and not once did it ever break anything even with the weekly kernel and driver updates.

These days the kernel only seems flaky on non x86 hardware. It's not like Kabini is a custom MIPS architecture.

Return to “Hardware Support”