DELL-1350 Wireless adapter Driver

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sky_p3

DELL-1350 Wireless adapter Driver

Post by sky_p3 »

I have installed Linux-Mint at my laptop yesterday. Every things is working fine, it is accessing internet thorough the netwrok wire. After the first intallation it showed me new hardware found for the Wireless Adapter, it installed the software as well. But it never Enabling the this hardware. Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: DELL-1350 Wireless adapter Driver

Post by Husse »

More details

Thank you for your interest in Mint
To help you solve your problem we need to know exactly what Mint you use.
By that I mean version (like Celena or Daryna or numerical if you prefer) and edition (main = Gnome, KDE or some of the Community Editions like xfce or fluxbox or the mini edition)
We also need possible error messages, exactly as they appear
We also need information about your hardware. You can obtain that by running
lspci
in a terminal
If it is something connected to USB you run
lsusb
and similarly for other 'buses' like pcmcia....
To copy from a terminal mark (with the mouse) and right click
Then paste into a code box (it does not use as much space then)
Thank you
sky_p3

Post by sky_p3 »

Thanks for your quick reply.. please find the following details

Version (like Celena or Daryna or numerical if you prefer) I couldn't find this but this is the log from /var/log/messages:Linux kernel: [ 0.000000] Linux version 2.6.24-16-generic (buildd@palmer) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 (Ubuntu 2.6.24-16.30-generic)

edition (main = Gnome, KDE or some of the Community Editions like xfce or fluxbox or the mini edition): Gnome

We also need possible error messages, exactly as they appear HOw should i get it??
Messegae as in /var/log/kern.log: Sep 1 19:14:19 sky-Linux kernel: [ 622.466515] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... cefirmware and download the correct firmware (version 4).

We also need information about your hardware. You can obtain that by running
lspci

sky-Linux ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 650/M650 Host (rev 80)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Husse

Post by Husse »

As I suspected - a bcm43xx wifi
You even found an error message about the missing firmware, well done
Lately I always recommend this guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... ca757b2851
Step one not necessary in Mint Works from Cassandra to at least the upcoming Felicia
You find the link in the wifi wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... adcom_43xx

Return to “Hardware Support”