Number Lock key on keyboard

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Number Lock key on keyboard

Post by Oldfiddler »

I have in the past always left my number lock key in the on position, so that I can access the number key pad on the right of the keyboard. Since installing Mint 16 Cinnamon 64-bit, I've noticed an odd thing. When I first boot the system, the number lock key is off and inoperable. However, if I first put the Caps lock key on, the Num lock key becomes active and then operates normally, whether or not the Caps lock remains on. Has this been noticed before and is there a way to make the Num lock operable from the start?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Number Lock key on keyboard

Post by Kalyk »

In Mate in the Control Center under Login Window there is an option:
enable numlock
I can't test it now, but I think NumLock will stay on afterwards.

On the thing with CapsLock, sounds weird, haven't seen it before, X-files stuff?
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Kalyk wrote:In Mate in the Control Center under Login Window there is an option:
enable numlock
I've noticed this behavior too. Even stranger, this numlock option in my Login Window is greyed out, can't check on it. :?:
I'm running LMDE Mate 64-bit.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldfiddler »

Kalyk wrote:In Mate in the Control Center under Login Window there is an option:
enable numlock
I thought I'd replied to Kalyk earlier - perhaps it got lost in the preview!

There is the same numlock option in Cinnamon, which I have now set. There was no problem doing that (cf gtsfer's post). It hasn't been convenient to reboot yet and so I don't know what the effect has been, but I'll report when that is clear.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldfiddler »

I'm afraid I have to report that setting "Enable Numlock" on the login screen has not changed the symptoms. It's obviously not a big problem, particularly as there's an easy work-around, but any further ideas would be welcome.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldfiddler »

Having worked on the keyboard over a few weeks, I now realise that Enable Numlock does indeed enable the numlock. What remains odd is the behaviour of the keyboard lights: the Numlock light remains off, even though the numerical pad is active; it still cannot be lit using the Numlock key; it still can be lit by using the Capslock key, when the 2 lock lights come on together. So a partial solution, if still confusing to an unwary user!
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Even stranger, this numlock option in my Login Window is greyed out, can't check on it.
Do you have the numlockx package installed?

Return to “Hardware Support”