Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16 - SOLVED

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm

I wonder if this would work in grub
Code: Select all
acpi_osi=linux acpi_backlight=vendor
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Changed to:
Code: Select all
/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=(DisinclinedToType) ro quiet splash acpi_osi=linux acpi_backlight=vendor $vt_handoff


Sadly, that didn't solve the problem. The result of this was the same as when I did this before without the 'acpi_osi=linux' bit - if I try the brightness control the sceen icon comes on and it allows me to decrease it by one 'notch' from full, though it makes no difference to the actual brightness.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm

When you get a chance open a terminal and
Code: Select all
acpi_listen
and press the FN+F5 and FN+F6 and post the results, use CTRL+C to stop acpi_listen. Can you change the backlight when booted to the Live CD-not really important
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am

Pressing the function keys generated the following:
Code: Select all
sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000010
sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 0000003b
sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000011
sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 0000003b


Fn+F5 generated the first two lines, Fn+F6 the second two.

And no, I can't adjust the brightness when running Mint from the boot USB.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 am

Create the following files with the following content (you will need root privileges to do this, so something like "gksu gedit <file>" where <file> is: )

1. /etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up, use
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up


event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000011
action=/etc/acpi/brightup.sh

2. /etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down

event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000010
action=/etc/acpi/brightdown.sh

3. /etc/acpi/brightdown.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 11 ]; then
curr=$((curr-11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi

4. /etc/acpi/brightup.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt 117 ]; then
curr=$((curr+11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi

Make all 4 of those scripts executable via:

sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up
sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down
sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/brightdown.sh
sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/brightup.sh

Restart acpid:

sudo service acpid restart

The function keys should now work.


This is copied from a post on ubuntuforums by Toz that I slightly modified, the original thread is http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 84054.html
This should work but may need some tweaking
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

Many thanks. Happy to give this a go but in a lunch break it may be challenging! I shall give this a try later or tomorrow (which has the added benefit of giving you a brief respite!)
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 pm

OK, I created the files by navigating to the directory location, opening in root and then opening in Terminal. In terminal I used the pico command to create the file (i.e. pico <filename>).

For each file I copied and pasted your text, using CTRL-O to write out and CTRL-X to exit. I've double clicked on each of the files and the text in your post is there.

I then did the sudo command to make the files executable (again copying and pasting).

Sadly, the brightness is unaffected, though at least the 'progress bar' under the brightness icon works from minimum to maximum.

Have I done something wrong?
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Have you restarted the computer or at least restarted apcid with
Code: Select all
sudo service acpid restart


Can you open the files created and paste what is there? I was hoping my old Sony Vaio would have the issue with mint, no such luck, as all hotkeys worked and so did the brightness
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:53 am

JeremyB wrote:Have you restarted the computer or at least restarted apcid with
Code: Select all
sudo service acpid restart


Can you open the files created and paste what is there? I was hoping my old Sony Vaio would have the issue with mint, no such luck, as all hotkeys worked and so did the brightness


I did everything you detailed including the acpid restart (which if memory serves generated a couple of lines saying it was stopping and then starting).

Did a reboot as well.

Will post copies of the files a little later...
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 am

Sgt Peppermint wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Have you restarted the computer or at least restarted apcid with
Code: Select all
sudo service acpid restart


Can you open the files created and paste what is there? I was hoping my old Sony Vaio would have the issue with mint, no such luck, as all hotkeys worked and so did the brightness


I did everything you detailed including the acpid restart (which if memory serves generated a couple of lines saying it was stopping and then starting).

Did a reboot as well.

Will post copies of the files a little later...


OK, here goes.
/etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down
Code: Select all
event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000010
action=/etc/acpi/brightdown.sh


/etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up
Code: Select all
event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000011
action=/etc/acpi/brightup.sh


/etc/acpi/brightdown.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 11 ]; then
curr=$((curr-11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi


/etc/acpi/brightup.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt 117 ]; then
curr=$((curr+11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi


As I mentioned, I copied and pasted your text so there wouldn't be any keying errors.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 am

Sgt Peppermint wrote:
Sgt Peppermint wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Have you restarted the computer or at least restarted apcid with
Code: Select all
sudo service acpid restart


Can you open the files created and paste what is there? I was hoping my old Sony Vaio would have the issue with mint, no such luck, as all hotkeys worked and so did the brightness


I did everything you detailed including the acpid restart (which if memory serves generated a couple of lines saying it was stopping and then starting).

Did a reboot as well.

Will post copies of the files a little later...


OK, here goes.
/etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-down
Code: Select all
event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000010
action=/etc/acpi/brightdown.sh


/etc/acpi/events/sony-brightness-up
Code: Select all
event=sony/hotkey SNC 00000001 00000011
action=/etc/acpi/brightup.sh


/etc/acpi/brightdown.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 11 ]; then
curr=$((curr-11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi


/etc/acpi/brightup.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt 117 ]; then
curr=$((curr+11));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness;
fi


As I mentioned, I copied and pasted your text so there wouldn't be any keying errors.


Does the echo > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness still work to change. I know you tried echo 8 before and it worked. If you go to /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/ in file manager you should be able to see what the current brightness and max_brightness settings are as it should be shown on the icon for the files. I am using my smartphone and dont have access to a pc with linuc
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 am

JeremyB wrote:Does the echo > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness still work to change. I know you tried echo 8 before and it worked. If you go to /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/ in file manager you should be able to see what the current brightness and max_brightness settings are as it should be shown on the icon for the files. I am using my smartphone and dont have access to a pc with linuc

Yes the echo command still works - I have it in a document on my desktop and the first thing I do when I log in is paste it into a terminal window in order to avoid eye strain. Maybe even sunburn.

Max brightness (if memory serves) is around 4880. I currently set it to 1600.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 am

A few more to try during boot from a backlight troubleshooting guide
Reboot with kernel parameter video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.
+ * Reboot with just kernel parameter video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.
+ * Reboot with just kernel parameter video.use_native_backlight=1 and and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.

Another one is acpi.brightness_enable=1 acpi_backlight=vendor

You are using mint 16 mate? I tried the live dvd for 16 cinnamon on my vaio but my vaio had win vista originally.
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:22 am

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit v2.0.14

Pretty much as it came off the install (apart from the addition of a few programs).

I recognise the first two parameters you have there, but I can't remember if and where I ran them, so will have another go.
Last edited by Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Sgt Peppermint wrote:
JeremyB wrote:A few more to try during boot from a backlight troubleshooting guide
Reboot with kernel parameter video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.
+ * Reboot with just kernel parameter video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.
+ * Reboot with just kernel parameter video.use_native_backlight=1 and and make a comment on if you can now alter the backlight with hotkeys or a brightness applet.

Another one is acpi.brightness_enable=1 acpi_backlight=vendor

You are using mint 16 mate? I tried the live dvd for 16 cinnamon on my vaio but my vaio had win vista originally.


Will try them later. Presumably these are all put in the same place I put the acpi... thing before?

Yes, in the grub edit linux line
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Looks like I edited my previous post whilst you were replying to it!

I'd tried the first two of those previously with no joy; tried the acpi ones just now but still all i get is the icon bar moving with no effect on the actual brightness.

In the acpi folder there is a file called asus-keyboard-backlight.sh with two associated files for light up/down in the events folder. Are they of any use? No idea where they came from - they were part of the install.
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Sgt Peppermint wrote:Looks like I edited my previous post whilst you were replying to it!

I'd tried the first two of those previously with no joy; tried the acpi ones just now but still all i get is the icon bar moving with no effect on the actual brightness.

In the acpi folder there is a file called asus-keyboard-backlight.sh with two associated files for light up/down in the events folder. Are they of any use? No idea where they came from - they were part of the install.


That is for a backlit keyboards unfortunately, after trying to change the brightness try
Code: Select all
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail
and
Code: Select all
dmesg | tail
to see if any errors are being generated

If nothing else, we can try modifying the bash scripts to use the acpi_video0 backlight
Code: Select all
 /etc/acpi/brightdown.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 1 ]; then
curr=$((curr-1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi

and the other one changed to
Code: Select all
 /etc/acpi/brightup.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt 10 ]; then
curr=$((curr+1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby Sgt Peppermint on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:14 am

JeremyB wrote:That is for a backlit keyboards unfortunately, after trying to change the brightness try
Code: Select all
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail
and
Code: Select all
dmesg | tail
to see if any errors are being generated


cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail resulted in:
Code: Select all
[   254.237] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 14657
[   254.237] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[   254.237] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x0.0  107.62  1600 1648 1680 1888  900 902 908 950 -hsync -vsync (57.0 kHz eP)
[   254.606] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 14657
[   254.606] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[   254.606] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x0.0  107.62  1600 1648 1680 1888  900 902 908 950 -hsync -vsync (57.0 kHz eP)
[   254.859] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "SEC", prod id 14657
[   254.859] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[   254.859] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1600x900"x0.0  107.62  1600 1648 1680 1888  900 902 908 950 -hsync -vsync (57.0 kHz eP)
[   328.354] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-14B7503D830F6433941F279130885A2D664E08AA.xkm


dmesg | tail resulted in:
Code: Select all
[   15.736530] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[   17.056417] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   17.240366] r8169 0000:0e:00.0 eth0: link down
[   17.240398] r8169 0000:0e:00.0 eth0: link down
[   17.240428] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   17.240744] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   18.849466] r8169 0000:0e:00.0 eth0: link up
[   18.849474] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   33.342510] init: anacron main process (1114) killed by TERM signal
[   35.544468] UDF-fs: INFO Mounting volume 'Mar 02 2014', timestamp 2014/03/02 20:28 (103c)


JeremyB wrote:If nothing else, we can try modifying the bash scripts to use the acpi_video0 backlight
Code: Select all
 /etc/acpi/brightdown.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 1 ]; then
curr=$((curr-1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi

and the other one changed to
Code: Select all
 /etc/acpi/brightup.sh

#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt 10 ]; then
curr=$((curr+1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi


I've edited the files and rebooted. Still struggling...
Sgt Peppermint
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby ClutchDisc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 am

Wow, this thread sure went over my head fast! Wish I could help but this is beyond me! Have you tried anything like this? It's made for Ubuntu, but I don't know, might work for mint too. https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/brightness-controller/
Gateway NE56R41u laptop, 2.20 GHz x2, 4 GB DDR3 - Ubuntu 14.04
Dell Dimension E310 desktop, 2.80 GHz x2, 1 GB DDR2 - Linux Mint 17 (Mate)
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm
Location: Detroit area

Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio running M16

Postby JeremyB on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 am

I might have an alternative figured out

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
max=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness`
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -lt $max ]; then
curr=$((curr+1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi


save as brightness_up.sh in your home folder and
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
curr=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness`
if [ $curr -gt 1 ]; then
curr=$((curr-1));
echo $curr > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness;
fi


save this as brightness_down.sh in home folder and then in terminal
Code: Select all
chmod +x brightness_up.sh
chmod +x brightness_down.sh
gksudo pluma /etc/rc.local
and add
Code: Select all
chmod a+w /sys/class/backlight/*/brightness
in the file above exit 0 and save

In the Menu there is a program called keyboard shortcuts, click the add button and give it the name brightness-down and for the command enter
Code: Select all
./brightness_down.sh
then click apply. Do the same for one called brightness-up and command will be
Code: Select all
./brightness_up.sh
under the shortcut heading it will say disabled for these, click disabled and it will change from disabled to New Shortcut, press CTRL+up arrow for brightness-up and use CTRL+down arrow for brightness down. Close the keyboard shortcut program and you should have control of the display brightness-although the OSD hasn't shown up in my tests.

Actually, you will likely need a restart unless you do a
Code: Select all
chmod a+w /sys/class/backlight/*/brightness
in terminal
JeremyB
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests