Canon Pixma MX472 compatibility

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wordsmith85

Canon Pixma MX472 compatibility

Post by wordsmith85 »

I recently purchased a Pixma MX472 all-in-one to replace a no longer functioning MX3100 series printer. Now I am having problems getting the MX472 working, I've tried it with a backup windows based laptop but would really like to get it running with Linux.

Not sure what info would help those more knowledgeable than I.

Current OS is Linux Mint 15
I do have the driver disc for the printer
The MX3100 series printer worked fine

Be forewarned I am not Linux savvy so please make answers simple.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon Pixma MX472 how to install Canon drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

so Canon supply linux drivers for their printers; so the steps are:

!) download the file
2) install it

1) DOWNLOAD: go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 86902.html and click on the big red Download Now button; and choose SAVE when asked; it will be saved to your Downloads directory and you will be downloading cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz

2) INSTALL if you open a terminal: (go to menu at bottom left of screen; go up about 4 or 5 icons to the TV-like icon; click on that to open it); to paste a command in, use your mouse and top line of the terminal: ie start Menu at the left then go to Edit and down to paste; and hit the enter key after each paste

.....this all assumes you have a USB connection from printer to computer

so copy the commands from here and paste into a terminal are: you can have the terminal open over Firefox
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb
./install.sh
..........so that runs an install script: looks to see if you have 32bit or 64bit mint and installs accordingly

that should install a printer driver and you should be able to print

_________________-

If we get that going, and I can tell you later how to install the scanning software; to run your scanner
wordsmith85

Re: Canon Pixma MX472 compatibility

Post by wordsmith85 »

Ok, I followed the instructions exactly. The printer is connected via USB. I was able to download the driver at the link you gave and entered the commands in Terminal but this is what I get with the first command:

tar (child): cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I dont get any further with the rest of the commands.
wordsmith85

Post by wordsmith85 »

correction the second comman line receives

tar (child): cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon Pixma MX472 how to install Canon drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

the aim of this is for you to copy and paste each command one by one;

and I often suggest you use the mouse to do the copy and paste; and that you thus use the top line of the terminal;

so have a read at my post; where I listed the commands

and if I put them below: perhaps with some explanation so they are more clearly seen to be different:

.....so open a terminal..........and paste in one by one these commands and hit the ENTER key after each paste: the commands to paste in are in RED; and each one is different

cd Downloads (that gets you inside the Downloads directory where cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz should be located ...........)
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz (that unpacks the compressed file you downloaded; and CREATES a directory called cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb inside your Downloads directory; where you are currently located and you can check that by typing ls (which is linux-talk for list) and asks the directory called Downloads;where you currently are; to list what is there and; in blue; you should see cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb and I am telling you all this for information and only the red commands are pasted ..)
cd cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb (that gets you inside the cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb directory; where the install script is; that we want you to run)
./install.sh (this runs the install script; it works out if you have a 32bit or 64bit system and does the install for you........)

.......that should install the printer driver
wordsmith85

Post by wordsmith85 »

I've inputted the cmmands one at a time and still no luck
wordsmith85

Post by wordsmith85 »

Here is what I get

-OptiPlex-GX620 ~ $ cd Downloads
OptiPlex-GX620 ~/Downloads $ tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz
-OptiPlex-GX620 ~/Downloads $ cd cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb
bash: cd: cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb: No such file or directory
-OptiPlex-GX620 ~/Downloads $ ./install.sh
bash: ./install.sh: No such file or directory
-OptiPlex-GX620 ~/Downloads $
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I cannot interpret your pasting of the terminal results

can you paste in this command
cd Downloads
and then
ls
and then paste what you get: the command ls asks the computer to list what is in the Downloads directory; so good to check what you have downloaded

and could you also paste this command into a terminal
dpkg -l | grep tar
and could you paste back what you get please; this final command is looking to see if tar is installed on your system

thanks
LexiRedLion

Post by LexiRedLion »

Your instructions were fine for the most part, pdc_2, but you've made an assumption about his browser's behavior. Because tar told him "Cannot open: No such file," I suspect that his browser didn't save the file to /home/<user>/Downloads, but somewhere else. He needs to use the list command to know for certain if the file is there before attempting to untar. If it did in fact successfully download, but isn't where expected, he needs to locate the file by using find as:

Code: Select all

find ~/ -name cnijfilter-mx470series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz 
which will display the absolute path. From here he can move into the proper directory, untar the file, move into the newly created subdirectory, and then run the install script.
dillergaff

Post by dillergaff »

This worked perfectly for me. And I printed the test page etc.

Now to find info on scanning and fax

thanks
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon Pixma MX472 use ScanGearMP to run the scanner

Post by pdc_2 »

so Canon provide ScanGearMP to run the scanner: go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 87102.html and click to download and save what will be scangearmp-mx470series-2.30-1-deb.tar.gz

if you open a terminal and paste in the commands below; line by line; and hit ENTER after each line of paste

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx470series-2.30-1-deb.tar.gz
cd scangearmp-mx470series-2.30-1-deb
./install.sh

............crucially to run ScanGearMP, type or paste

Code: Select all

scangearmp
into your terminal.............for GUI usage, you can set up a launcher .............to launch ScanGearMP as needed

............google on how to set up a launcher, or ask here
Raymond01

Post by Raymond01 »

I know that the thread is old, but I just want to thank you for the info. Managed to get my mx472 working both as a printer and a scanner. Needed a usb cable for the setup but got both to work wireless.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon Pixma MX472 works well on Canon drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Raymond; glad it is all working well for you

Return to “Hardware Support”