Sound now not working properly after kernel panics

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound now not working properly after kernel panics

Postby vintagepen on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:43 am

Does anyone thing these two problems are related please? Sound now cuts out after anything from 10 seconds to ten minutes on a live broadcast in Firefox. I figured it was the browser but tried Chromium and it happens in that one as well. I thought it might be related to the icon in the systray constantly saying that it was losing the connection to my router but I have noticed that the sound does continue after the icon starts searching for another network so I thought this may not be related to a network problem and was trying to live with this as well.

This system worked in 32 bit Petra Mate for a month or on my Gateway 340UI so but the sound problem cropped up after I started getting kernel panics on wake from sleep ("Kernel Panic not syncing:attempted to kill init, exitcode=0x00000007 and drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to the text console"). The system can wake from suspend but not from sleep. I found someone else with this problem, and he posted an over-lenghty youtube video of his system having this problem but no one seemed to have any idea what to do about it.

I have done various apt-get commands, including update, install, dist-upgrade (which seems to have downloaded various large firmware files from some ubuntu sites) but to no effect on this problem.

If the kernel panics have caused this sound problem, is there any way to repair it please?
vintagepen
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound now not working properly after kernel panics

Postby vintagepen on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am

This problem seems to be solved: If I had looked at the panic report, I would have seen a mysterious cant write to swap file error message.

I suppose one never thinks about death in normal circumstances but if a swap file/partition is set up and working one minute and isnt the next, it can only really mean

'your drive is dying'.

Especially in conjunction with all sorts of other nonsensical problems
vintagepen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sound now not working properly after kernel panics

Postby Mute Ant on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Kernel Panic is the Linux version of Blue Screen of Death; something fundamental needs fixing.
Keyboard Failure -- Press F1 to continue
Mute Ant
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support