[SOLVED] printer: HP LaserJet CP-1025nw

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] printer: HP LaserJet CP-1025nw

Postby fotonix on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 am

Has anyone got this specific model of printer working with Maya(LTS) or Petra?
I have tried various things, searched the internet till I'm dizzy. Solutions offered are for a "close" match model, never quite this one.
I only receive "hplip: filter error" on the two or three times I got lucky enough to establishing some contact with the beast.
Much of the time it sits there, all plugged in and the installer spins saying "no device detected" (USB, net, wireless - tried them all).
Have tried cups, hp-setup and some wierd zj2sl??? thing - no results.

HP LaserJet CP-1025nw is a color laserjet with wireless capability - also has network port and USB port.

Thanks in advance for help with this.
Last edited by fotonix on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
fotonix
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

HP LaserJet CP-1025nw needs HP driver plug-in as extra downl

Postby pdc_2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

for hplip http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... 025nw.html ...... your printer should be supported

check your version of hplip by pasting
dpkg -l | grep hplip
into a terminal

there are instructions on pages like this http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... local.html to give you extra help in installing

commands such as hp-check and the initial command of sudo hp-setup http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... setup.html are ones you may be familiar with?

I do note in the above page; on your printer

Driver Plugin Information:

This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in. Use hp-setup to install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in. In general, required driver plugins are required for printing support. Driver plug-ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release.

so the command
sudo hp-setup
should download the driver plug-in that HP say is needed for this device
_________________________________________________-
O[pen Printing Driver
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

this would seem to be an alternative driver if you so need it

when I check "synaptic package manager", a version is already installed in our Mint ...........

they even have a page on their forum; for your printer http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/list.php?74
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: printer: HP LaserJet CP-1025nw

Postby fotonix on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:39 am

$ dpkg -l|grep hplip
ii hplip 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
ii hplip-data 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
ii hplip-doc 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - documentation
ii hplip-gui 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - GUI utilities (Qt-based)

Thank you for the reply. I've been down this hp-setup path. If I recall (from last trying it 2 weeks ago) it attempted to download drivers. Something then failed. I will now try to get the driver from the hplip website, though I recall that finding the file was not made very easy. Will try once again. The foo2zoo just drove me mad, didn't go anywhere.
fotonix
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: printer: HP LaserJet CP-1025nw

Postby fotonix on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Having found an afternoon to burn on printer games, I hooked up directly USB to my Petra laptop.

I ran hp-setup, which "set up" the printer,and promptly on step 2 of 3 could find zero usb devices. However, the printer appeared in the printer section under Preferences but printing a test page went nowhere. Not even that message about plugin error.

I then ran hp-check which came up with some very original text in red: ...distribution is deprecated or not yet supported...
and several others. It then recommended I run hp-doctor, which I did.
This took a while to run and after configuring many packages (xsane, openssl, ans several more), it also downloading the custom HP plugin, and some minutes later pronounced itself done. A reboot was then required.

On restart, hp-check came up clean and the device was still listed under printers. Print test page... and YES, a test page!

Strangeness that remains - the printer runs its own wireless point / network and I cannot seem to turn that off.
fotonix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] printer: HP LaserJet CP-1025nw

Postby fotonix on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Postscript follow-up:

With my Maya install, no joy as yet. I totally uninstalled and reinstalled hplip - does not include hp-doctor at all. And hp-check shows this:

Code: Select all
-----------------
| USB I/O SETUP |
-----------------

Checking for permissions of USB attached printers...

HP Device 0x112a at 003:009:
    Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_CP_1025nw?serial=xxxxxxxxxxxx
error: Unsupported model: HP_LaserJet_CP_1025nw

Oh, and hp-setup is adamant there are NO devices on the USB. As HP carefully state while walking quickly from their coding quagmire, "this software comes with no warranties"...

Lovely, isn't it? I miss the days of plain printers you could plugin and print to in a minute or two with the (device agnostic) lp command. All the job control "IQ" was in the file you piped out via lp. Lasers, line printers, barcoding - all easy as pie. Things have become too complex with all the 'bright-spark' enginering ideas and too many layers of rubbish in the way.

So until a miracle occurs I can sneakernet files to the other machine and at least print from one place. Inconvenient, but for critical documents that is what I have to do for now.
fotonix
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support