Nvidia or Nouveau?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nvidia or Nouveau?

Postby lizardo221 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 pm

So I just installed my mint 16 and I have two options for my video drivers: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau or nvidia-319. It came with the xserver driver active and seems to be working fine so I have to ask myself if there is any reason to bother switching to the nvidia driver (doubt it needs to be said but I am using an nvidia video card). Can someone clearly explain why I should switch to the nvidia driver or why I should stay with the xserver?
lizardo221
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia or Nouveau?

Postby TheRealShane on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 am

This is, I think, the main reason to use the Nvidia driver:
snapshot1.png

Shane
TheRealShane
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Grez on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:41 pm

In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The nVidia driver caused me a few problems corrupting the filesystem (don't know why, never really got to the bottom of it), but the nouveau driver now works well enough and I'm loathe to change.
There are 10 types of people in this world:

People who understand ternary and get this joke
People who understand ternary and don't get this joke
People who don't understand ternary.
Grez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Flemur on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:36 pm

seems to be working fine so I have to ask myself if there is any reason to bother switching to the nvidia driver

I've actually run on the nouveau driver for quite a while, thinking I was running the nvidia driver (installed a liquorix kernel, and the install didn't do the nvidia part correctly). The two differences I've seen are:
- "Xorg" uses about twice the memory with the nvidia driver (40-50Meg vs 20-25).
- Uses about 2X more CPU playing a video with nouveau (5% vs 10%, IIRC). Might be bigger diff with full-size video.

Summary: If everything's working OK for you, leave it alone.
Mint 17/Xfce/fluxbox & Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Hombre on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, and I may come back more often that what one would, given my small practice of linux' internal & configuration.

I ask myself the same question, do I have to switch to nVidia? The last time I've tried was with an OpenSuse distribution, and after my attempt to install the driver, the system has never restarted (at least the Windowing environment, but I was completely lost!). Now I've installed Mint 16, which is nice and easy to use, I don't want to make the same mistake.

Is my nouveau driver working fine? Well, I don't know. For sure the standard application are working fine, but I'll soon use an application that will use OpenCL, and don't know if nouveau handle OpenCL for my GeForce GT 630M ? I have an Asus laptop (1 y.o.) with this card installed, and an i7 processor which embed an intel gfx chipset too, as you know.

I think that the hardware acceleration is not used because I've installed Lightworks (NLE video editor), which import motion jpeg video but can't display them correctly (sound ok but garbage video), while VLC can display them correctly, maybe with software rendering?

So, first question: how can one know the list of hardware acceleration that the driver actually supports and use?
Second one : can a Linux's noob* install such driver (i.e. nVidia + bumblebee IIRC) without much chance to f*ck up the system?

* noob for linux system administration only, I have background on C++ coding and Win7 administration.
Hombre
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support