[SOLVED] Mouse central button dragging not working

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Mouse central button dragging not working

Postby ElStellino on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 pm

One thing I never made work in Linux is the fast scrolling dragging the mouse, keeping pressed the scroll wheel. It's actually something that I would use quite a lot, and I feel a bit of an amputee.

What I get with xinput is that the button 2 gets pressed and released, and now also types the useless command I just found in a ubuntu site:
Code: Select all
button pressed 2
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse middle-button-enabled true
button released 2

Pressing it on links it opens the link in a new tab, but I can't drag up and down a whole webpage just keeping it pressed.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, the mouse is a standard Logitech Mouseman USB, laser. (M-BT83)
Last edited by ElStellino on Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Core i3 530 2.93Ghz
4Gb Ram Dual Channel.
ElStellino
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mouse central button dragging not working

Postby ElStellino on Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 am

Okay, I then researched better, and first of all the function I want is called auto-scrolling.
Already knowing what the name of what you want is helps you by a long shot, so I just googled it.

For future reference and for the odd person like me who may want the same feature in the future, it's something within the programs one is using, not the OS.
Apparently, in Windows all the programs have the autoscrolling enabled by default, but it is not so in Linux, where one has to set it manually for each program.

In Firefox, Preferences, Advanced, General tab, enable Use autoscrolling
In Opera, it's not possible to chose an option, but there is an extension for it (https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/autoscroll/?display=en).
In LibreOffice Tools, Options, LibreOffice, View, and under Mouse change Mouse middle button from "Paste Clipboard" to "Automatic scrolling"

I don't use any other program where I may want to use it, so I'll just leave this one here.

Marked as [SOLVED]
ImageImageImageImage
Core i3 530 2.93Ghz
4Gb Ram Dual Channel.
ElStellino
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support