Lenovo laptop that runs Mint 16?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lanser

Re: Lenovo laptop that runs Mint 16?

Post by Lanser »

Hi Wulf. My personal choice on this used website would be the Lenovos or Acers. I would avoid used HP's, Dells & Toshiba's.
FYI I just installed Mint 16 Mate onto a 5 year old Acer Aspire with a German keyboard for one of my nieces. Everything running OK after loading the language pack and setting the keyboard. All the Acer special keys function correctly.

cheers

Lanser
CajunLanMan

Post by CajunLanMan »

Something else to consider is a newer laptop, with a non-bleeding edge chipset in it. For example, Intel has been on their Haswell 4000 series processors for almost a year now. However, you can still find many new laptops with the previous generation 3000 series processors. Perhaps older processors = older chipsets? These would perhaps work better with the versions of Linux you're talking about using.

Just a thought.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Wulf - About 6 months ago I bought a refurbished Lenovo T400-2767 series laptop (circa 2008) for $229 US. The specs are Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz, Intel GM4500 integrated graphics, 4GB of DDR2 ram memory, 160GB WD SATA hard drive, DVD-RW drive, three USB 2.0 ports, and two ethernet ports. The card reader is somewhat dated, it only accepts CF format cards. It originally had Windows Vista Business 32 bit installed. I went to Lenovo's support website and downloaded the most current BIOS and firmware I could find and installed it using Vista. Then I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit. All I can say is this: it is 100% dependable and works without a glitch. Not only does Mint perform flawlessly as an operating system, but every button on this laptop works the same way it did when Vista was installed. My volume up, volume down, and mute buttons work. The two screen brightness keys work. The keys for screen lock, suspend, and hibernate work. And an added bonus, pressing the "Windows" key brings up the menu in the Cinnamon desktop! I could not ask for anything more from this machine. It has replaced my much newer HP Envy DV7 as my everyday laptop.

If you want to really dig into all the ins and outs of using Linux on any of the Lenovo Thinkpad laptops, here is a valuable resource for information: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Check out the Thinkpad models section, the Hardware section, and especially he Known Problems section if you want to evaluate what works and what doesn't when using Linux on a Lenovo Thinkpad.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Return to “Hardware Support”