Asus ux32ln and Linux mint Cinnamon 64bit

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Asus ux32ln and Linux mint Cinnamon 64bit

Postby falense on Sat May 03, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm trying to install linux mint and the nvidia binary driver on Linux Mint Cinnamon 16. The laptop in question has a new maxwell 840m GPU in combination with an intel card. From what I can tell the dedicated graphics card is not recognized and as such nothing works as it should.

lspci|grep NVIDIA
03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1341 (rev ff)

lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A

What I have tried so far:

1. Install only nvidia-current (cinnamon crashes), I expect this is because optimus is not handled correctly
2. Install bumblebee (for nvidia optimus) with bumblebee-nvidia, optirun doesnt work. I think this is because gpu is too new for the driver bundled with bumblebee.
3. Install binary beta driver from nvidia website and bumblebee (cinnamon crashes). Removed bumblebee-nvidia and configured bumblebee to work with the binary nvidia blob. Optirun works, however cinnamon crashes because of no GLX support. I assume this is because the intel gpu doesnt work.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or can provide assistance I would appreciate it.

In advance thanks

EDIT: I have gotten Linux mint Cinnamon 16 to work with this laptop including graphics drivers and most hardware. Ill provide a basic reference for others that may try to do the same as soon as I have time to do so.
Last edited by falense on Sun May 04, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
falense
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Asus ux32ln graphics driver

Postby falense on Sun May 04, 2014 6:23 am

On the Asus UX32LN Linux mint Cinnamon 16 works very well. Battery life is reported as 8:45 not using dedicated GPU. Performance of Nvidia gpu is not optimal however but the Intel gpu works well.

Webcamera - worked right out of the box
SD card reader - worked out of the box
Sound - works out of the box
Nvidia gpu - needs work, see details below
Power savings - able to get comparable times as windows with a few simple steps, see details below
Hot keys - Keyboard backlight, volume works. Screen brightness does not work, workaround possible

Installing linux mint

I currently have a triple boot with Windows 8, Ubuntu and Linux mint. To install anything I had to disable secure boot in bios, once disabled you get access to enable CSM which makes it possible to boot from most devices and usb keys (it's legacy bios support enable). Installing ubuntu first it handled updating the bootloader perfectly. Installing Linux mint after also went without a hitch.

Swap space

The model I got came with an SSD as such I chose to be rather conservative with swap as it may or may not have adverse effects on the lifetime of the SSD. I did not make a seperate swap partition instead using "swapspace" as detailed http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=49&t=166572. TLDR:

sudo apt-get install swapspace
sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
Append "vm.swappiness=10" at the bottom

Nvidia gpu

This system has an optimus setup with a Nvidia 840m gpu. Bumblebee allows for using the dedicated GPU when more graphics performance is needed (and turn it off in other cases). A more detailed guide to install bumblebee and drivers can be found at http://www.muktware.com/2013/12/install-nvidia-331-bumblebee-optimus-cards/18271. TLDR:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus

Guide refers to using nvidia-331 I replaced this with nvidia-337 which works well. Just replace references to 331 with 337.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-337
sudo nano /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf

In line no 22, set the following:

Driver=nvidia

You will also need to specify which nvidia driver to use in line no 55:

KernelDriver=nvidia-331

Change the following in line no 58:

LibraryPath=/usr/lib/nvidia-331:/usr/lib32/nvidia-331

And in line no 61 :

XorgModulePath=/usr/lib/nvidia-331/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules

Reinstall bbswitch-dkms

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bbswitch-dkms

Once the installation is complete, stop and start bumblebee. You can also reboot your laptop if you like.
sudo /etc/init.d/bumblebeed stop
sudo /etc/init.d/bumblebeed start

This should give you basic Nvidia gpu support. I am still working on cuda support. I tried the binary blob from nvidia homepage but could not get it to work properly.

Power savings

Using tlp for power savings, install by:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw
sudo tlp start

The only change I did to the defaults of tlp was to set cpu governor to powersave on battery. Config can be found at /etc/defaults/tlp

Touchpad

By default Linux mint did not have tap to click and scroll enabled. This can be found in System setting => Mouse => Touchpad

Hotkeys

Most hotkeys work out of the box with the exception of backlighting. There may be better workarounds for this problem but here is the one I use:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/149054/h ... via-script
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2186919

TLDR:
Install xbacklight and xbindkeys

sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xbindkeys-config xbacklight

Setup keybindings of your choice using xbindkeys-config, example commands for adjusting backlight:
xbacklight -inc 2
xbacklight -dec 2

Useful programs

I found https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/to-do-list-after-installing-linux-mint-16/ to be very useful in setting up my linux mint, there may be certain programs you find useful there as well.
falense
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Asus ux32ln and Linux mint Cinnamon 64bit

Postby floflo on Sun May 11, 2014 9:48 am

Hi falense,

Thanks a lot for all those information!
I'm considering buying this laptop and I'm quite concerned by Optimus. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Have you tried to use the HDMI port for extended display? Does it work properly? Is the Nvidia gpu used for this?
- Same questions with the VGA port?
- What are the settings available in the BIOS regarding Optimus? Is it possible to enable only the integrated card? If so, is it still possible to use an external monitor?
- Any update on your efforts regarding cuda?

Many thanks!
floflo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Asus ux32ln and Linux mint Cinnamon 64bit

Postby falense on Sun May 11, 2014 4:23 pm

floflo wrote:- Have you tried to use the HDMI port for extended display? Does it work properly? Is the Nvidia gpu used for this?
- Same questions with the VGA port?

I have not tried to use the HDMI or VGA port. My general impression has been that this is always troublesome in linux (I may be wrong).

floflo wrote:- What are the settings available in the BIOS regarding Optimus? Is it possible to enable only the integrated card? If so, is it still possible to use an external monitor?

Spent some time in bios and I did not notice any settings for the graphics card at all. I suggest you ask on notebookreview forums in regards to the bios, several there have this model by now and may be able to take a more thorough look (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/74 ... 0m-13.html).

floflo wrote:- Any update on your efforts regarding cuda?

Had to RMA mine due to misaligned ports (ports were not aligned to chassis), supplier is currently out of stock so I don't have the laptop around to test further. I expect that getting CUDA to work might be possible however it did not seem to work with the default packages. Next step for me would have been to use the beta drivers from nvidia and try to configure these with bumblebee manually. However some have reported having trouble doing so as it may override intel GPU / driver.
falense
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Asus ux32ln graphics driver

Postby jon_gunnar on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:36 pm

falense wrote:On the Asus UX32LN Linux mint Cinnamon 16 works very well. Battery life is reported as 8:45 not using dedicated GPU. Performance of Nvidia gpu is not optimal however but the Intel gpu works well.

Webcamera - worked right out of the box
SD card reader - worked out of the box
Sound - works out of the box
Nvidia gpu - needs work, see details below
Power savings - able to get comparable times as windows with a few simple steps, see details below
Hot keys - Keyboard backlight, volume works. Screen brightness does not work, workaround possible

Thanks a lot for this info. I just got machine myself, also with an SSD.
I put in Linux mint Cinnamon 17 almost at once, and it looks so nice.
Thanks a lot for all your useful info.
jon_gunnar
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support