GA-890FXA-UD5 Drivers (Mobo RAID in particular)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

GA-890FXA-UD5 Drivers (Mobo RAID in particular)

Postby user18 on Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 am

I've previously used a couple of the more common flavours of Linux on laptops and in VMs, and recently on the Raspberry Pi, and I'm now taking the plunge and trying to use it on my primary desktop. For those interested, the impetus for this change was that I was due to reinstall my Windows 7 partition, and I got to thinking what I really needed Windows for. Seeing as TF2 and L4D2 are both linux-friendly, the answer doesn't amount to much. I am still planning to keep a Win 7 boot disk in my machine for when I get the itch to play other games.

The purpose of this topic is to find the drivers I need to get the same setup I'm used to in my prior dual boot machines. I don't care about being able to access boot partitions between OSs, but I do need to access data partitions, containing music, documents, video files and the like. Only complicating factor is I have the aforementioned files stored on a RAID array built using the motherboard RAID tool in BIOS. Obviously, this array is formatted NTFS, as it was created when I only used Windows.

My motherboard is the one in the title, Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5. I'm hoping someone knows from prior experience where the ideal drivers are found. I'm going to be looking as well, and will update if I find anything. As a starting point, Windows drivers are available here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3417#dl

Thanks for any help you can offer, and I'm looking forward to trying out Mint 16!
user18
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 Drivers (Mobo RAID in particular)

Postby user18 on Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am

Okay, first bit of bad news. The SB850 on my board, which is responsible for the raid array, doesn't seem to have raid5 (or anything, really) supported in linux at all. I guess I'll try to get around it by moving cards around -- I have a Highpoint 2640 that I'm currently using for a raid1 array, and I'm going to see if I can make a raid1 array on the secondary JMicron controller on my motherboard (appears to have better support in dmraid), and a raid5 on the Highpoint 2640, which I know at least worked under Ubuntu.

Hooray for dumb hardware!
user18
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support