Gnome problem? Please help! (Edited 12/9 )

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gnome problem? Please help! (Edited 12/9 )

Postby T J Tulley on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Gnome problem - please help!

Post by T J Tulley on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm
The Gnome manual says:
When you insert a CD, a flashdrive, or other removable media, or a device containing files such as a music player or a digital camera, an icon representing this device will appear on the desktop.

In my home directory, Desktop belongs to me with permissions 777. Nevertheless, when I insert my cardreader containing an xd-picturecard, I get a box saying: Cannot mount volume. You are not privileged to mount this volume.

How can I change this behaviour?
I can mount it using the command: /$ sudo mount -rw /dev/sdf1 /media/Cardreader but in spite of the -rw option specified, this comes with permissions 755, owner root, and I can't paste into it.
The command /$ sudo chown theo /media/Cardreader produces the response:
chown: changing ownership of `/media/Cardreader': Operation not permitted

How is permission obtained if not allowed to "sudo"?

All of this is in spite of the fact that Properties>Volume of the item on the desktop shows rw among the listed options for Mount Point, and it is listed in /etc/fstab with the line:
/dev/sdf1 /media/Cardreader vfat auto rw,uid=1000,nodev,relatime 0 0

I can view items already written there, but I need to be able to paste folders containing pictures (.jpeg files) into it. I have done this in the past - this seems to be a peculiarity of my current version of Gnome. A similar problem was cured in a previous installation of Elyssa, but I can't find my way round it now.

BTW, the identification of the cardreader as sdf1 comes from its connection report in /var/log/syslog. I created the mount point for it.

I shall be most grateful for help and advice.
Gaining experience in Elyssa, on a PC with 1GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support