EnvyNG vs. restricted drivers?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Losgann

EnvyNG vs. restricted drivers?

Post by Losgann »

Hello,

My motherboard has an onboard NVIDIA graphics chip. I was wondering what the difference is (if any) between enabling the restricted NVIDIA driver under the Hardware Drivers Manager, and using EnvyNG to compile and install NVIDIA drivers. Is one preferable to the other? Does one do something the other does not?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: EnvyNG vs. restricted drivers?

Post by Husse »

Basically it is the same- however I think Envy does a better job.
It's clear that some cards like the one but not the other but you can't tell beforehand....
garda

Re: EnvyNG vs. restricted drivers?

Post by garda »

Aquern wrote:Is one preferable to the other?
This actually depends on your overall system configuration. I've tried both and found the Hardware Drivers applet (a.k.a Restricted Driver Installer) to be more preferable. On some machines, however, EnvyNG seems to do a better job.
Aquern wrote:Does one do something the other does not?
Yes. One thing that I remember is EnvyNG also installs nvidia-xconfig which then will give you access to Nvidia X Server Settings (via Control Center). It gives you more options to customize several aspects, such as Anti-aliasing level, Anisotropic filtering level, just to name a few. If you use Hardware Drivers applet to install the driver for your graphics card, you'll have to install those additional components manually through Synaptic. Additionally, I reckon switching display resolutions can be a tough job using either one on some machines. Thus, as Husse said, you'll have to try both to figure out which one suits your taste best. Hope that helps. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”