Huawei 3G USB dongles

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nkusigm

Huawei 3G USB dongles

Post by nkusigm »

This is somewhat strange! My Huawei E153 usb dongle worked like a charm on mint 15 (Olivia) but now it seems flaky in mint 17. The trouble is it does not maintain the 3g connection (UMTS/HSPA) as selected in the connection settings, but instead frequently drops to 2g (GPRS) as indicated by the LED on the modem. Now, on mint 15, it works perfectly (I even tried it using a live dvd boot, as I already did a fresh install of mint 17 on the hard disk, and it works as expected) the same goes for an older version of Ubuntu (10.04). That I presume rules out both the service provider and the hardware itself (modem and computer) and it seems likely to be a slight change in mint 17. I have googled for an answer and have come empty... Any ideas on how to approach this problem is welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Huawei 3G USB dongles

Post by pdc_2 »

I didn't investigate it in detail; but a ZTE modem that we used to use; was tried on a more recent kernel: 3.12 from memory; it wouldn't "flip" but using the older kernel (3.2?) ......it worked as expected; all I could muse from that was maybe some hiccup with more recent kernels; (I sense far fewer folks are using these usb modems);

Return to “Hardware Support”