LM17: MDM eats cpu waiting at login screen

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eanfrid

LM17: MDM eats cpu waiting at login screen

Post by eanfrid »

Hello,

(Using an AMD Radeon HD4670 with the open-source drivers on a dual-core Intel E7600.)

I hate MDM in webkit mode: it eats 50% of both cores of the CPU, doing... nothing else than waiting for someone to log in. Maybe an issue when using the open-source radeon driver, I do not know yet.

Workaround: I replaced mdm with lightdm (*) and now I have a quiet login screen at 1-2% of CPU time.

Anyone with this same problem on MDM ?

(*) Edit: BTW, this also gives me back XDMCP which has been kicked out of MDM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: LM17: MDM eats cpu waiting at login screen

Post by eanfrid »

I can confirm that this is not related to hardware.

Tested on 2 other machines with different hardware (Intel IGP and SIS IGP), MDM in webkit mode (html login screen) eats lots of CPU (mdmwebkit + xorg = 50% of all CPU activity) while doing absolutely nothing. When selecting another mode than HTML - GDM for instance, using mdmgreeter instead of mdmwebkit - CPU usage drops, reverting close to 0% as it should.

This is obviously a problem with MDM as long as you use an html login screen - which is the default on LM17. I do not have any running Mint older than Qiana to verify if the same behaviour occurs, on a fully updated LM13 for example (hence using a very recent MDM release). Nonetheless, I get immediately the same behaviour on a KVM virtual machine running LM13 in-place ugraded to LM17 (made only by modifying the sources.list files) when selecting an HTML login screen in MDM.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LM17: MDM eats cpu waiting at login screen

Post by Monsta »

I see it's been reported upstream earlier.

Return to “Hardware Support”