Video Resolutions and Wireless iIsues

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Video Resolutions and Wireless iIsues

Postby riversbooks on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:54 pm

After reinstalling Widnows XP SP3, I dual booted into Mint 5. This is on a Sony laptop (with wide view) using the Intel chipsets for wireless and video. Both work will in Windows but I cannot get the wireless to connect in Mint (land line cable does) and the video resolution will not go above 1024x600. In Win, the video will go to 1280x1024.
I used the screen resolution tool in Mint and cannot but it will not set the resolution pass 1024x600.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike in Alaska
riversbooks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video Resolutions and Wireless iIsues

Postby AK Dave on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Do you have an option to install a restricted hardware driver for your video chipset? One possible reason for the video issue is that your currently installed driver does not support, for linux, the resolution you desire. A more updated driver might be the solution.

The alternative explanation that seems likely to me is that you just need to manually edit your xorg.conf to allow the resolution(s) that you desire.

For wireless, I think you really need to start with one of the wireless walkthroughs. There is a wealth of good tutorial help already written and posted on this forum. Start with capturing an lspci, lsusb, and iwconfig to a text file. There are a lot of reasons why wireless might be not working for you, but the top of the list is that you simply need to configure your local network: disconnect your landline, L-click the network icon, and select "other wireless network" to get started.

You really need to branch this help request into two seperate requests, but first use 'search' on this forum.

Don't neglect www.aklug.org - Alaska Linux User Group
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Video Resolutions and Wireless iIsues

Postby riversbooks on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Thanks.
I will try you suggestions. While I have been working with DOS and windows for a long time, some of Linuxs terms thow me a bit.

Take care and again, thanks you
Mike in Alaska
riversbooks
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support