Shared wired connection not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckrles

Shared wired connection not working

Post by ckrles »

Hi, I am running Mint Qiana 17 KDE 64 bits. I would like to share my wired connection through my wireless card (Alfa Awus036H with RTL8187L chipset, which I think supports access point function) my two android phones: Nexus 4 and Sony Xperia Z1, both running android 4.4.4.
I've read many posts, but I can't make it work. The last post I followed was http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/ If I followed this tutorial I can't even see my newly created network nor in my computer nor in my phones, and if I manage to have my computer connect to it, my phones don't see.

I tried using Wep and WPa encryption, but no luck.
I don't know what to do.

Anyone who has made it work or can help me set it up?

Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Shared wired connection not working

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

some cards do support AP mode others don't and even within the ones that do support it the driver needs to provide the function.
So let's first check your hadware

Code: Select all

lspci

nmtool
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

PatH57 wrote:Hi,

some cards do support AP mode others don't and even within the ones that do support it the driver needs to provide the function.
So let's first check your hadware

lspci

nmtool

This the output of the terminal:

maria@maria-desktop:~ > lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0c)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0c)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0c)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0c)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller (rev 0c)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
04:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
maria@maria-desktop:~ > nmtool
No se ha encontrado la orden «nmtool», quizás quiso decir:
La orden «nm-tool» del paquete «network-manager» (main)
nmtool: no se encontró la orden
maria@maria-desktop:~ > nm-tool

** (process:4224): WARNING **: Could not create object for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/3: uid 1000 has no permission to perform this operation

** (process:4224): WARNING **: handle_property_changed: failed to update property 'available-connections' of object type NMDeviceEthernet.

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

** (process:4224): WARNING **: error: cannot retrieve connection: uid 1000 has no permission to perform this operation

** (process:4224): WARNING **: error: cannot retrieve connection: uid 1000 has no permission to perform this operation

- Device: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ----------------------------------------------------
Type: Bluetooth
Driver: bluez
State: disconnected
Default: no

Capabilities:

- Device: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx----------------------------------------------------
Type: Bluetooth
Driver: bluez
State: disconnected
Default: no

Capabilities:

- Device: eth0 [New 802-3-ethernet connection] --------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: r8169
State: connected
Default: yes
HW Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Capabilities:
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Properties
Carrier: on

IPv4 Settings:
Address: xxxxxxxxxxx
Prefix: 16 (255.255.0.0)
Gateway: 22.22.1.1

DNS: 10.22.1.1
DNS: 8.8.8.8
DNS: 8.8.4.4
Last edited by ckrles on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

my bad forgot the Alfa Awus036H is an external usb thing ? (works pretty well with Kali)

lsusb
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

Yes, it is an external usb ALfa Awus036h. Could you tell me how to set it up so it can work as an access point for my Nexus 4 and my Xperia Z1?

Thank you.
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

I also have an Edimax EW 7318 USg. It's a usb dongle. Anyone who can tell me how to set it up on LM 17 Qiana so I can use it a as an Access Point?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

both cards can hanlde AP mode, the problem is how well does the driver hanfle it. My guess the open source driver doesn't do it you have to go for the propiatary drive.
Do you know a distro called Kali or BT (back track)?
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

PatH57 wrote:both cards can hanlde AP mode, the problem is how well does the driver hanfle it. My guess the open source driver doesn't do it you have to go for the propiatary drive.
Do you know a distro called Kali or BT (back track)?

Sorry for the late reply. I managed to get the Edimax working almost effortlessly. But I have a problem. I turned it on and it works well, but after 20 minutes it goes off and it doesn't reconnect until I reboot my system. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that the systems lock after 10 minutes and demands a password, but the Access Point keeps working for 20 minutes. I don't know if it is a setting issue, but I'd like to have it fixed. It is very annoying when it turns off and you have to reboot yor system.

Is there some option similar to the one in windows where the operating system can turn off a device to save energy? In windows it is something you can disable in your wireless card.

Would the prprietary driver work any better? Where can I get and install it? The systems reports no additional drivers. It'd be nice to have the drivers for both the Alfa Awus036H and the Edimax 7318 USg

I went to the Konsole and run iwconfig. The output....

maria@maria-desktop:~ > iwconfig
wlan1 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Master Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

I think the problem maybe in the fact that the power management for the wireless card is on, so how do I turn it off?

Thank you.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

iwconfig
and check power management
Did you check under control center power management? it the unit goes into suspend well then wifi is also suspended
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

PatH57 wrote:

iwconfig
and check power management
Did you check under control center power management? it the unit goes into suspend well then wifi is also suspended

Yes, I check power management in the control center and the screen lock and asks me for my password (it needs to be password protected). THe screen lock and it keeps working for a few minutes. The system doesn't hiberante or sleep.

I tried sudo iwconfig wlan1 power off and it reports (my card is detected as wlan1)
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan1 ; Invalid argument.

I also tried in the terminal

sudo dolphin (it openened) and I browsed the the folder etc/pm/power.d and I created a text file with this:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/iwconfig wlan1 power off

Any more ideas?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

just post me the output of

iwconfig
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

PatH57 wrote:just post me the output of

iwconfig
maria@maria-desktop:~ > iwconfig
Power Management:on

It would also be ok if I could change the sleep time of the wireless card to 8 hours or so.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

it's on or off nothing between but you can put your system to sleep after 8 hours.

so

sudo iwconfig wlan1 power off
for this session and to see if it works.

then we make it permanent.

sudo touch /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
With this, you've created an empty text file called "wireless".

Now copy/paste this line into the terminal:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
Press Enter.

This has made the empty text file executable.

Now you're going to put a certain text into that empty text file that you've just created.

Copy/paste the following line into the terminal:
gksudo gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

Press Enter.

Now text editor gedit launches with the empty text file "wireless".

Copy/paste the following text into the empty text file "wireless":
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/iwconfig wlan1 power off
Save and close the text file.

Now close all applications and reboot your computer.

Then check in the terminal, by the command iwconfig, whether Power Management for the wireless chipset is off now.
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

THe output of the terminal now is:

Power Management:off

Now Power Management seems to be off. I guess it'll work. I'll give it a try and let you know tomorrow.

Thank you very much.
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

The problem is still happening. After a while, the Edimax Ew-7318-Usg turns off. Additionally, the ethernet stops working and I have to reboot because it has no internet access. It didn't happen before.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

well then something is wrong with the way power management and your pc interacts.

try this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/SuspendResumeTesting

or if you prefer GUI:
install from package manager checkbox-gui (I don't run all the test like keybord and sd card but do it first for eveything never know) takes around 20 minutes
ckrles

Post by ckrles »

Sorry for the late reply. I have been quite busy. I haven't tried your last solution because Ethernet and the AP usually work most of the times when the screen locks, although I few times the AP wifi network stops working and so does the ethernet. I don't know the cause.

It0s my wife's computer in her business and I don't won't to mess around with it too much. If the internet access stops working too often I'll give a try to youtr last solution.

Thank you.

Return to “Hardware Support”