Wireless settings missing

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Wireless settings missing

Post by HappyLinux »

I know I will get told of for this, posting this problem in the wrong forum, and I do apologise for that, but this is the only place I can go because I cannot log into the ubuntu forum because I don't have a Ubuntu One account. Heck I no longer use Ubuntu anymore since switching to Mint several years ago. However, in this case, as I will explain, I have a problem with Lubuntu.

I have an "Asus EEEPC 901" Netbook.

For several weeks now, I've been trying to put a Linux distro onto it to little success. When Netbooks were popular, there were several Distros designed specifically for Netbooks, but they don't seem to exist anymore seeing as Netbooks are now replaced by Ultrabooks. Some of those distros have completely shut down, others have changed. The Ubuntu version has been merged and hidden in newer versions. Some still running, just aren't suitable for purpose. My remaining options is Lubuntu with its low hardware requirement.

To finish the story, after buying a USB DVD drive to plug into the Netbook, I finally managed to boot Lubuntu Live. I tested various programs, some I would uninstall, some replace, and a few install, I went looking through the filemanager and settings to get a feel for it before installing. However, the wireless settings were not there.

Has it not detected the wireless adpater, or doesn't it try detecting until fully installed? No icon in the bottom right either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Wireless settings missing

Post by PatH57 »

let's see if the system found the wifi card

Code: Select all

lspci
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Sorry, I cannot copy-paste the "lspci" results but I am reading through it.

To start with it's recognises the Intel chipsets for graphics, memory, PCI, USB, SATA etc. All but the final 2 results are Intel.

The final 2 are as follows;
01:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
04:00.0 Ethernet controller : Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethermet (rev b0)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

you can copy paste in terminal, just used the mouse to hihglight the text then right click and copy
you have ralink RT2790 so you could try the firmware here http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800pci

or an updated kernel.
No easy solution however.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I know that I can copy straight from terminal, but the netbook doesn't have internet connection. Well, it would have internet connection if the wireless worked.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

usb key?
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

USB Key? What do you mean? Are you asking if the wireless is USB? The wireless is actually built in.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

no you could copy the text on a usb key and then post here.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Well, it doesn't matter now. I managed to install Lubuntu, and only then did it install the drivers for the wireless. However, Lubuntu was proving more hassle to setup and configure. So I tried to see if Mint 17 xfce would work, and to my surprise, it does. Although it takes up more storage, and a bit slower than Lubuntu, I can configure it to a useable degree. Right now, I'm just modifying it. Removing a bunch of programs that are useless for my sister, and add a couple, whilst modifying settings like screensaver and power management etc.

Return to “Hardware Support”