Wireless mouse freeze seconds after Mint 17 boot

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2thou

Wireless mouse freeze seconds after Mint 17 boot

Post by 2thou »

Hi,

I've had a search around for solutions to no avail so any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck on this one.

I've just completed a new build (details below) and I'm trying to install my OS.

Initially I was going with Mint 17 (Cinnamon), so I burned the ISO onto disc and loaded it up. Boot was successful, I'm on the desktop.

The problem I'm having is my mouse and keyboard work for only ~10 seconds before they freeze completely. I know it's the mouse because if I disconnect the unified wireless USB thingy and reconnect it again they work briefly before freezing again. Oddly though, the first time I booted up this problem wasn't a problem, and I was able to proceed through the install process without issue (until install failed and I had to restart, which is when this problem seemed to arise)

I'm currently using a Logitech mk520 wireless combo but I tried a wired Dell keyboard with a different wireless mouse before and the problem has remained.

PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN722N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0

After failing to find a solution for Mint I thought I'd try a different distro and see if that helped. Loaded up Ubuntu 14.04.1 and the problem persists.

Note that I've tried booting in compatibility mode too and the problem still persists. Can anyone advise on what I should try next?

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Wireless mouse freeze seconds after Mint 17 boot

Post by kyphi »

You have already eliminated the operating system as the culprit so that leaves the hardware or rather where it is connected.
Unified transmitters need to be fairly close to the devices that they are supposed to control so, placing them at the back of the computer case causes them to work erratically because of the metal shielding. Another point to consider is connection to USB 2 or USB 3 sockets (use USB 2).
Try routing a USB cable from the back of the computer to the front of your desk and connect your transmitter to that.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Hardware Support”