NVIDIA and Screen Resolution

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrLizm

NVIDIA and Screen Resolution

Post by MrLizm »

So I have followed many other forums to get my Proprietary NVIDIA 331.38 Driver to function, The rest of the story:
When I use (Power Save) IntelHD Graphics from X Server the PC will boot into 1600x900 on the internal primary monitor and function fine. --Curent Mode
When I use (Performance) The NVIDIA GeForce GT630M The Primary Internal monitor starts @ 640x480 and I cannot do much of anything, however, when I use the HDMI and plug in another monitor the PC boots and the primary internal monitor starts up at 1600x900 and the external does not. I can activate the external manually and supports a full 1920x1080. Unplug the HDMI and something crashes, probably x-server, and I have to hard reboot at this point. Also changing resolution will crash and require a hard boot again.

For now I am running in powersave on the Intel Display: GLX, OpenGL function able to render 3d use programs such as blend. Its really not even broken this way, I guess it just bothers me to have it half fixed. Sure would be nice to use this card to full potential.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: NVIDIA and Screen Resolution

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

probably the drivers still not up to the task.
You could try the newer nvidia drivers from their site
or use the xorg edgers ppa (they maintain the latest drivers together with the xorg)

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
then use driver manager to install another version.
invader_tak

Post by invader_tak »

PatH57 wrote:You could try the newer nvidia drivers from their site
then use driver manager to install another version.
Still doesn't work. System crashes within seconds of logging in, requiring a hard restart, after which the OS fails to boot. The old drivers failed on vanilla Ubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, and Mint Mate. The new drivers failed on vanilla Ubuntu. I did manage to eventually get vanilla Ubuntu to boot, after several tries, by switching back to the default open-source nuveau drivers. Shall I try the new drivers on Mint Mate? First I must prepare a boot stick, because from this pattern of behavior, it's likely to crash and fail to boot. What's the lesson here? Don't use NVIDIA hardware and open-source software?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

witch nvidia drivers did you use?
and is bumblebee installed? it is needed to switch between cards. (software should detect it and use it)
here is a good guide.
http://linuxsagas.digitaleagle.net/2014 ... -graphics/
MrLizm

Post by MrLizm »

So I installed bumblebee, its there in the tray. Says its off, however. I can select applications but I am not even sure it its switching cards.

***** Addition I attempted to change the PRIME to NVIDIA and I just get a prompt with a red X and to select okay. Before the bumblebee this did not happen.
** Edit. I read that link.. lol.. still working through this one. Post my results when done so I can stop editing this post...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

why do people first try and then read, it would be so much easier the other way around :lol:
MrLizm

Post by MrLizm »

I was never able to resolve this entirely. however it does function now and I am scared to touch it because every time I do it gets worse..

inxi -Gx shows:

Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

I will have to let this one be not too sure I need the nVidia...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

I just checked again and it seems you would have to use the beta drivers for nvidia or wait until the final ones are ready.

Return to “Hardware Support”