[workarround] Missing Taskbar / panel

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AcE Krystal

[workarround] Missing Taskbar / panel

Post by AcE Krystal »

Hi all,

I spent some time fighting with the problem of not having a Taskbar / panel (what ever you call it) on my fresh installed Linux Mint 17 Mate 32bit persistence live usb.

After some research I found out thet Linux was putting the taskbar on a second screen that my laptop didn't had. The reason for this is most likely because my laptop has 2 graphic cards (1 software and 1 hardware).
The problem thus was that my default screen (with the taskbar) was the "non existing screen".

The workarround I found was setting the default screen back to my real screen by doing the following:
#Press Alt +F2 to run a command
#enter 'mate-display-properties' to launch the Monitors panel
#Dissable second monitor

Still I feel like this is a bug, It would help a lot already if Linux Mint would by default mirror potential multiple screens instead of making a extended desktop with the risk of making the wronge screen the default desktop screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: [workarround] Missing Taskbar / panel

Post by PatH57 »

could also be that the wrong card was detected or a generic driver installed?

Code: Select all

inxi -Gxz
AcE Krystal

Post by AcE Krystal »

Could be.. results of

inxi -Gxz:

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Intergrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9300M GS] bus-id: 01:00.0
X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
But even if it is a driver issue.. it would be better if it used "mirror" as default instead of having to search for you taskbar.

follow up question..
How do I set the "Same image in all monitors" function to true using terminal? I want to make a linux img that has "Same image in all monitors" enabled as default, this because it is going to be used for a lot of live USB pens and I don't wan't everyone to configure his screens on every startup (non persistence)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

FAILED: nouveau,intel
try to first fix this, open driver manager and check if another driver is suggested.
AcE Krystal

Post by AcE Krystal »

OK, I have done some new updates.

You where party right with the driver issue. It showed that I was missing some video drivers and I succesfully installed a Nvidia (331) driver set on the iso and made a new Live-USB.
At first I had the taskbar back as it is suppose to be, but the mate-display-manager still shows that I have 2 output screens.

Now the strange thing:
It seems like it is reandomly swapping screen mode (extended / mirror) by every startup. And there is a change that in extended screen mode it still reandomly puts the taskbar on the other screen.
It seems like ~3 out of 10 startups give me a desktop without a taskbar.

I will be working with these live-usb for a while, so I will dubble check if it keeps doing this. Will be continued...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

did you configure the settings using the nvidia tool?
once you have done so

sudo nvidia-xconfig
to save the xorg.conf file.

Return to “Hardware Support”