can't re-install linux want boot from cd

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jmc79

can't re-install linux want boot from cd

Post by Jmc79 »

I have a Dell demension that I swapped from xp to mint, months ago. I'm funning mint petra 16

I'd like to re-install linux. I tried this a few times today, I insterted the iso cd, changed the boot order, hit f12 wen't to boot from cd, but linux started, it didn't go into the iso setup.

any clues how to make it boot from a cd, or what i'm doing wrong?

If you need more details i'd be glad to give you some more info.

thanks
JM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: can't re-install linux want boot from cd

Post by all41 »

As long as you are at this point you should install Mint 17.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

all41 wrote:As long as you are at this point you should install Mint 17.
+1 Mint 16 is no longer supported, but Mint 17 is supported for 5 years.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Does the light on the CD drive come on briefly before it proceeds to boot from harddrive?

This would indicate that you got the boot order to boot CD first, but either the CD is not bootable, or your CD drive is beginning to fail.

Also since the CD will not boot, you cannot use the built-in Integrity Check to test it. However if you can mount the CD normally, then you can check the md5sum of the burn by following the instructions here.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Jmc79

Post by Jmc79 »

ok so i probably deleted something a while ago.

When i used to insert a usb blash drive, a menu would popup and ask me if I wantged to open files with a few other choices. that no longer happens when i insert the usb drive there is not a popup menu. I have to go into dolphin and select the usb drive manually to open

same with the cd-rom. There is no autoplay, i have to go to dolphin and select the data.

so i can access the data manually fine but it seems my drives cdr-usb are not auto opening. I think this is keeping me from booting from CD.

I can't update to 17. my computer will not boot from dvd, or usb only cd-r. so mint 17 is too large of a file for me to install. I chose mint cause it seemed to be best small distro out there,
ofb

Post by ofb »

but it seems my drives cdr-usb are not auto opening. I think this is keeping me from booting from CD.
No. These are completely unrelated.

For the first, go to Settings and look for something like Removable Drives & Media, or maybe Preferred Applications. It can be different depending on the flavor of Mint you are using, and version number.

Boot options is a different issue. We were working on that. You'll need to answer questions.
Jmc79

Post by Jmc79 »

OBV this isn't an easy fix.

Thank you for your imput.

THE ISO discs are fine. I was trying to reload the disc i used to install mint, and also tried to reload a version of linux cinnamon that I put on a friends old laptop.

I'm Thinking that either mint changed the way my bios/ boot from cd is acting, or the drive is failing. This computer is about 8-10 years old.

Thanks

JM
ofb

Post by ofb »

I'm Thinking that either mint changed the way my bios/ boot from cd is acting, or the drive is failing.
Mint cannot change your BIOS or your boot order.

Back to the other question about autoloading media like disks etc, in Mate you open the file browser and select Preferences. Preferences has a Media panel with the autoloading options.
Jmc79

Post by Jmc79 »

I was able to actually boot from a usb, and I installed linux peppermint

no problems so far, drives are loading, audio / video are fine. again thanks for you help.

JM

Return to “Hardware Support”