Acer touchpad moving cursor by itself

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valens

Acer touchpad moving cursor by itself

Post by Valens »

Hy guys, I ve got an Acer with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon, everything works fine aside one huge annoying problem. My mouse cursor moves all over the screen without me even touching the touchpad. This manifests at odd times, sometime after a few minutes from boot, sometimes after a few hours. I tried every setting in the touchpad menu, but nothing works. If I have a mouse plugged in, the mouse cursor stays fine, otherwise, it s just a matter of time until it starts bouncing all over the screen really fast. I ve noticed that using the Fn+F7 key to disable and renable the touchpad solves the problem for a short time (a few minutes) but then it goes haywire again. What could be the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Valens

Re: Acer touchpad moving cursor by itself

Post by Valens »

Any ideas?
pgplum

Post by pgplum »

I have the exact same problem on an Acer E11. After much googling I've decided that it's a kernel problem. The oft-suggested workaround to touchpad problems of blacklisting i2c_hid does not work in this case.

I'm hopeful that this will be fixed in the next update of Mint (with a new kernel). I would be grateful if someone could confirm this, however.
105NorthTower

Post by 105NorthTower »

I have the same issue on an Acer E11 running Windows 8.1; I even had the first unit replaced, because I thought it was something to do with the hardware.

In both cases, the touchpad worked fine for about a week, but then the cursor started to jump around the screen and some applications opened at random. Switching off the touchpad and inserting a USB mouse fixed the problem, but that obviously makes it hard to use on public transport.

I'm no IT expert, but I think pgplum has hit the nail on the head - it looks like a driver issue. Probably time to get in touch with Acer...
Valens

Post by Valens »

has anyone found or know of a fix up for this problem (other than throwing the thing out the window, which I m very close to do...) ?
hatalar205

Post by hatalar205 »

Same problem. I tried Fedora, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu, Arch .... nothing solves this problem. Also delete and up and right buttons sometimes doesn't work on Keyboard

Return to “Hardware Support”