No Headphones

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No Headphones

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm new to the Linux game, but trying to learn.. Anyways I'm running mint on my Sony Vaio VGN-SZ780. It had Vista before, and sound through speakers and headphones worked fine, now I only have sound through the on board speakers.. If I plug in headphones, it doesn't mute the speakers.. I have tried right clicking on the volume icon, opening volume control, edit-preferences, but there is nothing to click for headphone switching. Also, typing "alsamixer" in terminal, doesn't bring up an option for that either. Just "master" and "PCM" volume control. Says the card is: HDA Intel, Card is: SigmaTel STAC9872AK. Any input would be appreciated.

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Headphones

Postby Jace on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:09 pm

I guess I wasn't signed in.. Anyways, the above is me :D
Jace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sgtconker1r on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:08 pm

This will help you. I used it on my Vaio VGN-NR120E with the ACL262 sound driver. A couple of steps, a reboot and BAM! Now my headphones work fine when I plug them in. Just follow the steps but for your specific model Vaio.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806620

It helped me.
Don't you know that absolute power leads to ultimate peace? Power aint nothing if you don't use it.
I call it a sin Not to rule the world, if you've been blessed, with the strength!
sgtconker1r
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jace on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm

It looks like this is heading me in the right direction. However, when I enter the command-

sudo gedit /ect/modprobe.d/alsa.base

I open a window named-

*alsa.base (ect/modprobe.d) - gedit

this window is completely blank. But I tried entering the text anyways-

options snd-hda-intel model=vaio

And I get an error message reading-

Could not save the file [i]/ect/modprobe.d/alsa.base[i] unexpected error, file not found

So I close out that window and I have an error message on my terminal, basically saying the same thing...

I would think that file would be named the same in Mint as in Ubuntu, but maybe I am wrong..? Maybe I am missing something?

EDIT:: APPARENTLY THERE IS TEXT IN THAT WINDOW!! IT WAS HIDDEN AND ALL I HAD TO DO WAS SCROLL DOWN :lol: :lol: THANKS FOR THE HELP! I HAVE HEADPHONES YAY!!
Jace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sgtconker1r on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:02 am

I'm glad it helped.
Maybe it will help others too.
Don't you know that absolute power leads to ultimate peace? Power aint nothing if you don't use it.
I call it a sin Not to rule the world, if you've been blessed, with the strength!
sgtconker1r
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support