Really fed up installing Nvidia drivers for Gtx 650 Ti.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daulat Neupane

Really fed up installing Nvidia drivers for Gtx 650 Ti.

Post by Daulat Neupane »

Hello..

I downloaded the Nvidia 340.32 drivers. And followed the standard procedure for installing nvidia drivers. Everything went well. Driver installed, nouveau blacklisted and removed.
Rebooted the sytem and everything seemed fine. But soon after few minutes, weird pixel grids and whatnot appeared in the screen. And mouse and keyboard started momentarily freezing, until it finally froze completely with the only option to hard reboot. This happens everytime I boot. I've a relatively new hardware, motherboard being the newest(Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2), Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB and a Dell U2414H monitor. Everything was super smooth when nouveau was running. BTW I followed this link for nvidia driver installation: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932

I installed the nvidia 331 at first that was shown in the hardware drivers. But the same problem persisted there too. And so I installed the 340.32 and it was no better.

Now the Cinnamon starts in fallback mode with no internet connection. I can't even connect my wireless modem though it shows in network in the menu. AND I have nouveau purged. Although I have removed the blacklisted nouveau file created by nvidia default installation.

Which driver should I use? Is this the problem with Cinnamon? or the cinnamon just doesn't play well with nvidia drivers? I've searched the net and this problem seems to be persistent, with no proper solution mentioned anywhere. Should I choose other DE? Where should I begin?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Re: Really fed up installing Nvidia drivers for Gtx 650 Ti.

Post by niowluka »

Daulat Neupane wrote:Everything was super smooth when nouveau was running.
Is there any particular reason you decided to remove a working driver ? If it was working then stick to that.
Daulat Neupane

Post by Daulat Neupane »

niowluka wrote:
Daulat Neupane wrote:Everything was super smooth when nouveau was running.
Is there any particular reason you decided to remove a working driver ? If it was working then stick to that.
I am an artist and I use Krita and Blender. Which thereby presumes I need a powerful pc and hence good graphics card with full capability for the purpose which I think nouveau drivers can't meet with Nvidia right?

So, what is the right way?
eddie

Post by eddie »

Just being curious,why did you use such an awkward method to install the drivers?
Had you tried the 'Driver Manager' installer?
Did it not work?

eddie
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Daulat Neupane wrote: I am an artist and I use Krita and Blender. Which thereby presumes I need a powerful pc and hence good graphics card with full capability for the purpose which I think nouveau drivers can't meet with Nvidia right?

As I said, if everything 'was working smoothly', I don't see a reason to remove nouveau.

In any case, I had problems installing proprietary driver from the website as well. Could be down to the kernel. Try installing it from the repos.
Daulat Neupane

Post by Daulat Neupane »

niowluka wrote:
Daulat Neupane wrote: I am an artist and I use Krita and Blender. Which thereby presumes I need a powerful pc and hence good graphics card with full capability for the purpose which I think nouveau drivers can't meet with Nvidia right?

As I said, if everything 'was working smoothly', I don't see a reason to remove nouveau.

In any case, I had problems installing proprietary driver from the website as well. Could be down to the kernel. Try installing it from the repos.
yes..everything was working fine...but as it is always preferred to go for proprietory drivers over nouveau for maximum performance, i did the same. Anyway how much of a difference does it really make? Obviously I would now use nouveau if that's the only driver that works fine..but I doubt if it is possible as I have purged it and I ve only wireless connection. And cinnamon does need hardware acceleration,right? means if display drivers are screwed somehow, there is no troubleshooting it,as the fallback mode is unusable. What choice do I have now?

BTW I'm using 3.13.32 kernel, as the default didn't support my motherboard sound. And I tried through the hardware drivers and installed 331.117 or something that was shown recommended, but the same problems did exist there after boot. And so I finally decided to go for 340.32.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Honestly I don't know the differences between nvidia and nouveau, but I'm sure there is plenty of info on that on google.

Is that a vinilla kernel you're using ? Compiled or installed from repos ? I just checked and seems you are installing correct driver so I would expect it work. It may be kernel incompatibility, maybe some missing modules. I would suggest to read the driver release notes throughly.

Cinnamon will be super slow without hardware acceleration, but I don't think it should be a problem to install nouveau driver back, and nvidia should have an 'uninstall' script (run it first, then install nouveau).
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

Actually no, sorry, I got dazzled by all those 2's and 3's... According to nvidia you should be using 343.22 .

Return to “Hardware Support”