ATI Proprietary Drivers and Screen Resolution

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ATI Proprietary Drivers and Screen Resolution

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Well the proprietary drivers from ATI allow my monitor to access a higher resolution than it normally can (normally it's limited to 1680x1050, but with the drivers it can access them at 1200x1080. It's the same as with Windows XP.

Problem is, the higher resolution doesn't seem to expand to fit the entire screen and i have a lot of black around the edges. How can i get it to expand and fill up the entire screen (i know it's possible since I can do it in XP). Mint's resolution tool doesn't seem to be able to handle it.

Don't ask me how my monitor is able to display above it's native resolution, i have no idea.

Graphics card: Radeon X1650 XT
Monitor: CMV-222H
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI Proprietary Drivers and Screen Resolution

Postby LinuxForever on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I just installed new drivers with Envy today. I took the res from 1152x842 to 1280x1024. That resulted in black bands around the screen.

The way to solve this is use the settings controls on the front of your monitor. Usually there is one button to bring up the monitor screen settings on your monitors screen and other buttons that control ajusting the settings. You'll have to find out which buttons do what, but it's usually pretty simple.

None of the software in Linux can do this for you. You have to use the buttons on the front of your monitor.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

I don't think mine has that capability...
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LinuxForever on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:20 pm

I didn't know it was LCD. Ok, the controls you need should be on the right side of the case. If they're not there keep looking. They have to be some where. The manual should show you where they are.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Jinnai on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 pm

yea i have the controls. None of them say anything about resizing. There is color, brightness contrast, etc (all the good picture stuff), DLC on/off backlight on/off, audio settings (onboard speakers), language settings, color temperature.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LinuxForever on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 pm

I don't know what else to do. Sorry. I'm sure someone else will know the answer. You might want to ask at the Ubuntu forum.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support