64-Bit Lockup

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

64-Bit Lockup

Postby firebrand529 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 am

I've been using Mint since about June and have been a big fan ever since. I love how everything just works (except when I get creative!) and is so much cleaner than straight Ubuntu. After I screwed up my 32-bit OS after doing a lot of playing I decided to give 64-bit a shot. For a while it worked like a champ but it seems something doesn't jive with my network card. The system would freeze at random intervals with no discernible pattern, however it wasn't frequent. After trying to get my remote login working I began to have serious issues with my wireless network card. Sometimes no networks would show up when I searched, sometimes everything but my home network would show. Sometimes it would try to connect but fail to get a IP address or validate authentication. I tried it with the LiveCD and it worked like a champ. So I opted to do a clean install of the 64-bit OS. It connected to the net but about halfway through selecting the packages I need it locked up again. Rebooted, once i tried to connect to my wireless network it locked up again.

SO, I think something doesn't get along with this wireless card. The card has an RT2600 chip on it, Zonet is the manufacturer. The thing worked beautifully in the 32-bit world, but now my home comp is pretty much unusable. I'm going to reinstall 32-bit tonight. Is there any more info I can provide that can help evaluate this situation?

I do have some concerns about my power supply and will test it out on the XP install later. Never had a bad power supply, are system lockups symptomatic of a poor power supply?
firebrand529

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 64-Bit Lockup

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm

are system lockups symptomatic of a poor power supply?

Yes, this is a major cause
Have you upgraded inside but not the power supply
I don't think the behavior of the wifi card is a problem with the card itself unless it can't be used under 64 bit - please try to check that yourself I have at least 30+ questions to answer today time given
However the behavior fits well under poor power quality
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support