Intel driver Problems and Mint 17

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Георги

Intel driver Problems and Mint 17

Post by Георги »

Hello!

I am new in Linux and I really don't understand "how it is going on here". I bought a Laptop, HP 250 G2 with CPU Intel Celeron N2810.
The problem is that, the brightness the Monitor is always on 100%. I thing that I need drivers from Intel - I have found something:
I installed thatq but there is not a Linux Mint Quiana distribution (* 14.04, 64-bit for Ubuntu ): https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... .0.6-linux
I have also found that, but there are too many packages... to install?: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... ck-release
And I have also found something that muss I do, the Program to "find" our Distribution : http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-u ... ivers.html

But I am new here and I don't know what to do here and how to solve the problem with the drivers. Thank you a lot; I really don't need anythng more (the bluetooth I need too, but it is not so crucial). :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Intel driver Problems and Mint 17

Post by austin.texas »

Linux Mint Qiana is based on Ubuntu 14.04
What works in Ubuntu 14.04 will work in Mint 17

To get the correct driver open Menu > Administration > Driver Manager
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would look at this tutorial first and see if you can change backlight settings http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 48#p933148

It isn't always the fault of the driver, especially with Linux

If the tutorial does not help, open a terminal window and enter this and post the results

Code: Select all

for interface in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $interface; cat $interface/brightness; cat $interface/max_brightness; done
Георги

Post by Георги »

@JeremyB I can't make and edit file in this root folder. I tried to make a file to desktop and copy the fie there but it doesn't happen. And here I give you the answer from the last sentence :)
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

are the results.

@austin - i tried but when i give the password nothing hapens... :(
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Георги wrote:@JeremyB I can't make and edit file in this root folder. I tried to make a file to desktop and copy the fie there but it doesn't happen. And here I give you the answer from the last sentence :)
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

are the results.

@austin - i tried but when i give the password nothing hapens... :(
So does

echo 5000 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
reduce the brightness?
Георги

Post by Георги »

Thank you very much for the code @JeremyB! I will look like Profi while typing this code! Linux Mint forever :mrgreen:
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Георги wrote:Thank you very much for the code @JeremyB! I will look like Profi while typing this code! Linux Mint forever :mrgreen:
Change the number if you want to suit your needs, 7812 is the max and 0 is a black screen, 1000 might make things hard to read. Once you find what you like you can

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
and just above the line exit 0 enter

echo 5000 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
change 5000 to what you want, save, exit program

sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.local
to make sure it will work and the brightness should be set at the level you want after a reboot

Return to “Hardware Support”