Suspend and hibernate not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nephersir7

Suspend and hibernate not working

Post by nephersir7 »

I recently installed Linux Mint Elyssa on my new system and i can't get the suspend or hibernate feature to work. Whenever i try to use any of them, the screen turns blank and it just hangs there and I have to push the reset button because everything is frozen. I consider the suspend function very important, so I find it very annoying that it doesn't work :( . At the beginning i also had problems with it in vista (it waked itself right after it was suspended), but i randomly fixed the problem.

here are my system specs if it can help:

Motherboard: Asus p5q-deluxe
CPU: Intel core 2 duo e8500
Video: Asus Radeon Hd4850
Power supply: Corsair 620 HX
RAM: G.skill 2X2gb

Here are the bios settings options

Thanks for helping me
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nephersir7

Re: Suspend and hibernate not working

Post by nephersir7 »

bump
nephersir7

Post by nephersir7 »

bump
beranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beranger »

Of course it doesn't work! The kernel is screwed, as a regression from the kernel that was used in Ubuntu 7.10.

Read this: The PPA kernel fix (for my Acer).
pmgant

Post by pmgant »

Add me to the list of people with notebooks that won't suspend or hibernate. If someone could post newbie level instructions on how to upgrade the Kernel I'd be grateful.

P M Gant
Philip-III

Post by Philip-III »

This has got to be one of the many many many many totally useless topics on power management issues floating around the net..

PEOPLE! "Doesn't work" is not exactly useful diagnostic information. What are the symptoms? What does and what does not work? How exactly doesn't it work? What are the circumstances? Drivers, kernels, tools, environments, settings.. it's a sensitive issue and everything plays a role. But you have to thank your hardware manufacturers for the most part and not just blame it on the kernel.. I've been battling with this issue for over half a year maybe longer, every time losing hope until I finally found my solution. It may not work for anyone else in the world but what do I care it works for me :-P

Point is.. there are numerous guides even in this forum how to make things work, while some of them are overworked and there is generally no 100% guarantee any of them will work in your case, they provide useful hints, things to try and consider for your specific case.. BUT without providing any additional information, you guys are just shooting blanks in the dark with a wet gun..
beranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beranger »

Philip-III wrote:This has got to be one of the many many many many totally useless topics on power management issues floating around the net..

PEOPLE! "Doesn't work" is not exactly useful diagnostic information. What are the symptoms? What does and what does not work? How exactly doesn't it work? What are the circumstances? Drivers, kernels, tools, environments, settings..
I'm afraid to say that your post is useless. The hibernation issue is a KNOWN REGRESSION in Ubuntu 8.04, and the Canonical team wasn't able to fix what they screwed up, although they tried to fix it.

Symptoms? FROZEN computer.

Read Ubuntu bugs 221213, 226279, 191613, 226061, 226566, 227029, 227192, 234615, 235186, 235274, 235462, 236000, 236272, 236274, 236441, 236456.

Do you believe that a Mint forum topic could hold that much information?

The bottom line: for computers that can't suspend using the latest official 8.04 kernel, there is no way to make them suspend using the said kernel. Full stop.
Philip-III

Post by Philip-III »

L to the O...

Right right right ... WRONG!

There are many kinds of frozen, some can be fixed, others cannot... Known regressions and progressions - mine didn't work with the previous kernel, works with this one, doesn't work with nVidia drivers, works with ..workarounds

Read all them bug reports, many times - not very useful, none of them actually provided the full solution for my particular case.. I believe a mint forum could hold more USEFUL information instead of thousands of useless posts that seldom anybody cares to read through...

The bottom line is computers that can't suspend using the mentioned kernel could be fixed in some occasions and not in others, but unless you know more about the issue, you could only whine about it all over the internet. NOT trying to be offensive, but I've probably wasted much more time reading pointless posts than finding a proper solution. Exclamation mark! And now here I am contributing to the multitude of pointless posts. I'd say let the people explain their problems better and see if anyone could help them in their specific case... Or they can jump straight into the abyss of hopelessness and consume them countless posts on the bugboards...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Philip-III wrote:There are many kinds of frozen, some can be fixed, others cannot... (...) could be fixed in some occasions and not in others
No. In the present case there is a (known) regression, period.

Maybe you should stop the Ubuntu fanboy worship and see and accept the reality.
PhilipIII wrote:Known regressions and progressions

Regressions yes, more than one time. Progressions? Hahahaha... Even in 8.10 some so-called "progressions" are unnecessary, unneeded "improvements" while others are waiting or are rejected for stupid reasons or bugs are not or even are never fixed etc :roll:

NOT trying to be offensive me too, but sometimes I can not help but speak when I read some things... :mrgreen:
Philipp-III wrote:than finding a proper solution
Oh it's very simple. Try the PPA kernel fix as proposed by Beranger!
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Philip-III

Post by Philip-III »

No. In the present case there is a (known) regression, period.
Which present case? This one?
Motherboard: Asus p5q-deluxe
CPU: Intel core 2 duo e8500
Video: Asus Radeon Hd4850
Power supply: Corsair 620 HX
RAM: G.skill 2X2gb
or this one?
Add me to the list of people with notebooks that won't suspend or hibernate. If someone could post newbie level instructions on how to upgrade the Kernel I'd be grateful.
Maybe you should stop the Ubuntu fanboy worship and see and accept the reality.
Which ubuntu fanboy? Me? Ahahaha, ok, no need to be too sarcastic about it, so I won't comment further...
Progressions? Hahahaha... Even in 8.10 some so-called "progressions" are unnecessary, unneeded "improvements" while others are waiting or are rejected for stupid reasons or bugs are not or even are never fixed etc
Yes, progressions, it was 8.04 or more specifically the kernel associated with it that made linux possible in the first place on my weird piece of hardware.. No idea about which progressions in 8.10 you are talking about, and I honestly couldn't care less about a significant part of them, however new gnome and especially nautilus would be highly appreciated... Things need to get fixed and ubuntu are probably not exactly doing enough in that respect so they need to get their fair share of blame. But then why are we talking about ubuntu in this thread anyway..? With the direction things are going, this may soon become irrelevant anyway..
Oh it's very simple. Try the PPA kernel fix as proposed by Beranger!
Oh is it?! Behold for the holly messiah has bestowed upon us a mighty universal solution to fix this broken universe! Well.. not really, not in my case, not in many others.. unless you have the specific hardware associated with it, which strangely enough is not necessarily the case..

Point is, people lucky enough to have the hardware for which the fix works, hit the respective repository, people not so lucky.. well you're out of luck :D

Return to “Hardware Support”